back to article Make Something Up, The Water Knife and Girl at War

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston looks at literature's latest with a book of scintillating short stories from Chuck Palahniuk. New York Times best selling author Paolo Bacigalupi take us into the near future with a dystopian tale of drought, detectives and delinquents. And the 1990s Yugoslav Wars are reimagined through the eyes of a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Water Knife

"Texas is dry". Well, they're right about California still but Texas is experiencing record flooding, the extreme drought they endured for the last few years is over as all the lakes and reservoirs are filled to bursting (at least one has)

When the southeastern US was experiencing a prolonged drought a few years back, there were suggestions that it might be a permanent change in the climate caused by global warming. The same suggestions were made about the Texas drought and now the California drought. The SE and Texas droughts are long gone, and no doubt the California drought will pass as well.

I guess it is inevitable that dystopic novels move from nuclear war to ebola-like plague to large scale drought to keep up with the "fear of the day" making the news. I expect soon we'll see a lot of 1984/Brazil type of books/movies as the government spying/militarized police is the latest phenomena making the news.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile IRL

As DougS points out, California is in a serious drought (AGW or not AGW). From the description in the review, yeah, I can relate to that. The backstabbing has already started so the extrapolation of that stepping it up a notch or three-thousand, hey, no problem. We had three drivebys yesterday. At least we aren't looking at Mad Max Extreme level. [Not that I'll be around to see it. Rest of the family is up north still getting wet and occasionally frozen. We're at 27C. I need to pray to Tlaoc more.]

3. DocJames
    WTF?

I had understood

that much of the problem in California was due to ever increasing irrigation, both in state and upstream. Once the groundwater levels start dipping, there's trouble. And there's been more than is sustainable for a few decades, which wasn't noticed due to higher than usual rainfall. Once the drought started, the shortfall became obvious, although not the long term nature of the problem.

Is this not right? Next you'll be telling me that Australia doesn't have a problem!

Icon cos it's the more relevant one with a question mark.

4. Bleu

Pahlaniuk?

I really wanted to check his books, I didn't even buy Fight Club, although I have both Japan and US editions of the DVDs. I look at the books, flick through them, read bits, decide that I really don't want to buy them. His voice track on the Fight Club's commentary track is almost as irritating as the fawning interplay between Norton and Pitt in the same commentary.

He is also, of course, from a cult background, not a million miles removed from Scientology. Not that that is a crime, but it is certainly off-putting.

Bacigalupi, I love some of his stories. Many are too horrible to love, but they are affecting, even very depressing at times, all too likely, if we can fuck up badly enough.

This novel, I would guess, draws on his short fiction on the same theme (SW USA drought, extreme measures for water control). I liked those stories (only read two of them, and it was the Straw, not the Knife).

However, and not the first time I have said this, my favourite by Mr. Bacigalupi is Pump Six, it is doomy but very funny, in the collection 'Pump Six and Other Stories', you will find a very broad taster, including, IIRC, tales leading up to the novel in the article.

I was stupid enough to buy his 'The Drowned Cities' without reading the jacket notes last year. A YA effort, it is not as sickening as many others, no worse, than, say, similar efforts by Vernon Vinge (a shockingly bad writer for one with such fame).

Easy reading, but nothing I would want to re-read it for, whatever happened to writing of a quality that would attract everyone from the literate child to the imaginative adult?

So-called YA fiction is usually a propagandistic crime against literature. Pooter as the best example.

Funny how many adults who pretend to be literate were panting for the Pooter books.

Penultimate point, Miss Croatia may have crafted a lovely fantasy of her people's victimhood, but it is likely false, all of the attacks rained on rump Yugoslavia (Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia)

FFS, the KLA is *known* to have run live organ transplants from captured Serbs, just as Germany and the USA are *known* to have supported Croatia with mercenaries who liked to deck their tents out with Third Reich 'n' Roll regalia.

May be the appealing tale, I prefer to avoid a seemingly charming fabric of lies.

I would recommend Pump Six to any reading Regtard.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The second book

Doesn't that plot sound rather a lot like Mad Max?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon