back to article Beware Red Hat interviews: You'll pay for coffee, lunch and fuel

Want a job at Red Hat? If so, prepare to buy your interviewer coffee, lunch and maybe even the petrol needed to drive to the coffee shop. That's what happened to the company's CEO Jim Whitehurst when he was interviewed by his predecessor Matthew Szulik. In an extract from his imminent tome “The Open Organization”, Whitehurst …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Granted the scale is a touch more modest, but is this not what FIFA are currently being investigated for?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With Fifa

You are expected to:

1. hire a corporate jet and fly them to a 7 star Dubai hotel.

2 . lay on complementary female entertainment (wink wink)

3. find jobs for said FIFA person's immediate and extended family

4. start a shell company in the Cayman Islands

5. buy a Sepp Blatter T-shirt and mug

6. understand the offside rule (optional)

7. NOT go on holiday to the USA.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It sounds like a retard zone.

1. K
      Trollface

"It sounds like a retard zone."

Shouted out the person whilst licking the Windows (MS)..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds appropriate...

... for a company that makes a business of exploiting other people's efforts for free.

1. Tomato42
      WTF?

Re: Sounds appropriate...

@AC 28 May 2015: Last time I checked Red Hat was still paying salaries to all employees and contractors... and then releasing that work for free under OSI approved licenses...

1. Hans 1

I upvoted because you are right, however, when you know which cretins they employ and what mayhem those cretins cause in the OpenSource world ...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but...

> however, when you know which cretins they employ and what mayhem those cretins cause in the OpenSource world ...

VE VILL NOT TALK ABOUT ZE VAR, OK?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"for a company that makes a business of exploiting other people's efforts for free"

You cannot exploit open source software unless you're breaching the license it was released under. If I release software for free and say anyone can do what they like with it, you doing what you like with it is not exploiting me, regardless if you're profiting from my work.

On the flip side of that Red Hat contribute massive amounts of code under those same open source licenses which plenty of other companies use (not exploit).

This is the nature of open source.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The very nature of open source is to exploit someone else work. That's why so worshipped by greed people, those who liked a lot to be paid for their work, but don't like at all to pay for someone's else.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> The very nature of open source is

May I respectfully ask what is the extent of your open source development experience? Because at 20 years into it and counting, as a user, developer, sponsor, and customer, I find your "view" of the nature of open source rather at odds with mine.

For that matter, may I ask about the extent of your closed source development experience?

2. mathew42

> The very nature of open source is to exploit someone else work.

The very nature of closed source is to exploit the workers to build up large companies and benefit senior managers / shareholders.

> That's why so worshipped by greed people, those who liked a lot to be paid for their work, but don't like at all to pay for someone's else.

Actually it is more about the freedom. If I don't like what gnome team are doing, then there is unity, cinammon, kde, etc. to choose from.

If I don't like Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, etc. then the only choice is XP an increasingly risky choice. With linux if I really prefer 2.0, I can stay there.

3. a_yank_lurker

Exploitation of my work only occurs if I did not give permission for the use including commercial sales. If someone is able to make money of my work and I do not care then it is not exploitation.

2. jelabarre59

> On the flip side of that Red Hat contribute massive amounts of code under those same open source licenses which plenty of other companies use (not exploit).

Unless you're eBay, in which case you ARE exploiting them....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange rationalisation

When I look back at that meeting now, I realize that Szulik and Cunningham were just being open and treating me like any other person they may have had coffee or lunch with or got gas with.

The normal, open people I have lunch with would make damn sure they had money on them to pay their share of the bill before going out to lunch, and would be embarrassed if they found they couldn't pay. This sounds more like some perverse kind of "amusing" test.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Strange rationalisation

Amusing test.... just like being interviewed at lunch for IBM, don't salt your food before you taste it, they will not hire you even if you are god.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Strange rationalisation @chivo243

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp

2. jelabarre59

> IBM, ... will not hire you even if you are god.

No, they'll hire you, make you relocate to where the job is, then "resource" you (IBM-ese for "lay-off") two months later.

2. Chris King

Job interviews are as much about an employer selling themselves to you, as they are about you selling yourself to a potential employer.

If the execs start cheaping out like that before you've even joined the company, what are they going to be like once you've joined ?

I've been ripped off by companies who offered to pay interview expenses, then changed their mind. One of them made the mistake of contacting me on LinkedIn the other week - "Not a chance, I'm not travelling halfway across the country for you to waste my time and rip me off again !"

That bridge wasn't so much burned, more nuked from orbit.

3. Danny 14

Indeed, sounds a bit unprepared for a CEO....

5. nevstah

"At the end of that chat, the modest restaurant said its credit card machine was broken and Cunningham said he had no cash..."

In todays so-called cashless society, whats a guy supposed to do?

1. Danny 14

Go to a cash machine?

6. John Styles

That reminds me of one of the 'highlights' of my dubious 'career' at a previous employer...

There was a bid meeting between us and a big customer which was in what was obviously a motor dealership converted into an evangelical church rented out as a conference centre during the week.

Because the senior people at the 3 companies in our consortium had all been terribly, terribly, terribly busy we hadn't actually sat down to discuss anything at all (e.g. what we wanted to do, for how much money and on what basis) before sitting round in the foyer half an hour before the start of the meeting. Someone wanted to get some documents photocopied and the 'conference centre' wanted cash but none of the great and good had any (in the manner of the Queen) so I had to pay.

During the meeting

a) our (new-ish) MD randomly went off on one with the big customer's people over something trivial

b) one of the senior people had a crackpot idea of passing these obviously internal documents round the table for the customer to see - fortunately one of my colleagues at the other end of the table managed to intercept them

We then went to a pub (without our MD) and one of the people in one of the other companies in the consortium said 'don't you dare ever put him in front of one of my customers again'. Then we went back to one of the other consortium member's offices and the senior people had a row in an office whilst the more junior among us made polite small-talk for a couple of hours.

Good times.

7. John Styles

Ah, the broken card machine

A popular gambit in Italian hotels I find.

1. phil dude
      Joke

Re: Ah, the broken card machine

yeah the carbon copies are really useful for making artistic copies of lost cards....

P.

8. Sean Timarco Baggaley

WTF?

Either there are people running businesses in the US, who haven't heard of ATMs, or they're so rich, they literally assume all us little people exist to pay for things in cash on their behalf, so they don't have to dirty their hands with actual banknotes.

Or they're just incompetent and incapable of proper planning.

Why would anyone want to work for such people?

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Fair enough I guess?

Sean Timarco Baggaley has a good point about ATMs.

That said, I really thought these guys were going to be some kind of jerks expecting him to pay up for the meal, gas, etc., just because. It sounds like it really was just a serious of events that ended up with him paying. Fair enough.

10. Sarah Balfour

At the point he'd claimed to have forgotten his wallet, I'd have said "What a coincidence, so have I!", turned round and walked out. I'd not want to be employed by a company which saw me as easily exploitable.

Seems the thinking was, "If this guy's desperate enough for the job, he'll do anything".

I've never had a job.

11. Florida1920
    Flame

IBM owes me a lunch

Contracted for them in 1970 but they never bought lunch. Too bad too, as I never salt my food. Hot sauce, now....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like