back to article 'Sorry we outed your affair ... this sort of thing happens every day'

This week brought with it cruddy security, an expensive business opportunity and a free lunch. Here are some of our favourite quotes from along the way: Looking for a bit of *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* "adult" companionship? Here's hoping you didn't go to AdultFriendFinder. The hookup-as-a-service site had a rather …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uber - sleeziest company around?

Jurisdictions where Uber is considered illegal should remember that they can simply e-hail the miscreants. Seize their cars, issue the summons and call them a taxi to get home. Three weeks max, done.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Uber - sleeziest company around?

Rather amused that you posed this question when the same article mentions AdultFriendFinder and their, "Meh, shit happens." attitude about not properly securing the intimate, embarrassing personal details that people trusted them with.

There's Uber's sleazy business practices, and then there's just... sleaze.

2. JustWondering

Excuse me ...

Have I got this all wrong, or is this article saying that if the Uber drivers get an extra 5% that corporate profits would go up?

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Excuse me ...

I also thought there was more in that quote of the expected double-speak than... well... expected. Colour me confused.

2. skeptical i
      Angel

OK, I was/am confused too, but assumed that was from spending too much time this afternoon on the roof enjoying paint fumes. ~8^)

1. Michael Thibault

but you're taking the expression "getting high" a little too literally. Apparently, you can do it in your garden/shed. Even in your basement.

3. dan1980

On one level, AdultFriendFinder's response is straight to the point - breaches will occur. The missing part, however, is that once your have acknowledged this your focus should turn to making sure that when a breach occurs, as little data as possible is taken.

That means strong encryption, separation of information (like billing info from profile info) and strict access control around who at the company can see what. None of which lets you off the hook on the prevention side, however - the goal being that your system should be hardened enough to prevent all but the most dedicated attacks and then, accepting that those well-financed, highly-skilled attacks may get through, ensure they can't get too much.

Maybe they actually mean this and are working in this direction but the bite released was too vague and so not reassuring. (Which is what is called for.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like