Met my wife
Met my wife on AdultfriendFinder -0 10 years ago - good job I've moved since then ....
Hackers have pilfered and published the personal details and sexual preferences of 3.9 million users of hookup website Adult FriendFinder. Lusty lonely hearts, including those who asked for their account to be deleted, have been left in an awkward position after hackers broke into systems before uploading the details to the …
'Junk' email address, not quite true personal details, VPN - I'm safe.
Well, "ish" - they'll catch who you are via the credit cards and any trackers such as for advertising, but in general it's a good idea to use a fake name and a throw away email address on those sites anyway - even if they're not hacked, you never quite know what other use that information will have.
There too you need to use protection..
I still remember when our new mailserver was misconfigured and the aff-notifications got stuck in the queue.
I was quite shocked about how many there were.
And our clients are mostly businesses (we're an ISP).
But hey, if you receive the messages on your work-account, your SO might will find out, right?
it once again highlights that it is no longer about prevention, but instead about accepting a data breach will occur and moving to a proactive approach which allows better preparation for dealing with today’s threats
I'm more concerned about his attitude than the breach
Where'd you get that picture?? That's not me, I would never wear leather. Plus it looks way too tight.
It's hackers baby, trying to destroy me!
That goat? A friend brought it to the party for show and tell.
I'm done trying to defend myself, this is obviously all a fabrication, who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?
Hackers have been running round the Adultfriendfinder internal network since _at least_ 2004 when I found them doing it.
The staff freely admitted that the hackers were there (several of them are manchester based) but never notified Californian authorities as required by law there.
Trying to inform Californian privacy authorities about it proved fruitless too.
90% of the profiles are faked to attract rubes to sign up for the service. AFF were those responsible for utterly destroying the Yahoo! profile database with fake ID's, all pointing back to their service. The other 10% are actual people who use fake names. Who would want a database of all that junk?
"AFF were those responsible for utterly destroying the Yahoo! profile database with fake ID's"
In a circuitous way yes.
AFF paid affiliate fees to those who can get new signups onto their site. That gives them plausible deniability over the spamming (and a way of not paying out if there are complaints). Other sex site operators copied this method and affiliate spam is still one of the more pernicious things to deal with as there's no legislation to hold the businesses jointly and severally responsible for the actions of "affiliates".
The business itself is toxic. Penthouse bought them out a few years ago for around $500mil, but it turned out to be a poison pill and now AFF's creator owns Penthouse.
Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020