back to article The Harder They Come, Hunters in the Dark and Fall of Man in Wilmslow

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston reviews the latest from the literary world with T.C. Boyle observing the saints and sinners at roots of American gun violence. Lawrence Osborne tells a gripping tale of expats adrift and running amok in Cambodia, and David Lagercrantz delivers a curious conspiracy in his fictional take on events in …

1. Harry the Bastard

"as he is brewing up the potassium cyanide with which he killed himself"

was it ever reasonably proven that he did?

i'm sure i'd read that the apple was never tested, the amount in his body didn't suggest a large dose and it may simply have been accidental by inhalation/contamination from chemistry experiments he was doing with perhaps less care than advisable

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>>"as he is brewing up the potassium cyanide with which he killed himself"

>was it ever reasonably proven that he did?

Are you suggesting that a gay martyr was actually just a bit careless? You are a braver man than I.

Anyhow, we know exactly what happened because someone was there to film it all.

2. Charles Manning

It seems to be undisputed that he killed himself.

Only whether or not this was intentional is contentious.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Potassium cyanide

Some years ago I was going round a plating plant and one of the workers tried to impress me with his machismo by taking a 5g potassium cyanide pellet with his fingers and holding it in the palm of his hand. I pointed out to his boss that it was the sort of thing you can only do once too often (it is relatively safe but still not recommended.) But people do this kind of thing.

I rather think the Turing case is unknowable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021