back to article Samsung back on top of smartmobe market

Samsung's sales may be sliding nastily, but box-counter IDC says the company is back on top of the world when it comes to smartphone shipments. The firm's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker for 2015's first quarter found 336.5 million smartphones shipped, worldwide. That's “ up 16.7% from the 288.5 million units in 1Q14 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

And in other news...

KFC makes more profit than The Ivy. But I know where I'd rather eat.

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: And in other news...

KFC - the Ivy was a real disappointment...

At least with KFC your expectations aren't high

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: And in other news...

Normal folk get shepherded in past the cloakroom to the Ivy's main ground floor dining room. That's pretty ordinary. Well known faces and those with a certain financial based status get special areas that the rest of us don't see.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rings a bell

This article reminds me of the days when Nokia was again touted as the top dog in shipment numbers. Especially when 50-series was counted in. It takes a lot to lose 7% in a market rising 16% overall...

But hey, at least they did ship more units than Apple, which competes only at the most expensive segment.

3. El_Fev

Seriously who produces these reports??

Its how much profit you make based on your sales, If I ship 200 Million phones and make only 1p per phone as opposed o my competitor that ships 50 Million bu makes $100 on each, does not means that I'm top dog!

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Leohno*

Why do they get a star in the table then? It certainly isn't for good behaviour.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The phones look great but the Touchwiz interface sucks...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps the important point is Samsung sales are 7% down over the same period when Apple are 40% up. Apple sell more expensive phones that people want (sales up despite being more expensive) - Samsung sell lots of cheap phones (but suffering lower sales now Apple have larger screen devices and competition from other Android makers).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple revives technology that no other manufacturer can reach

Put that on your always on non touch watch and stick it

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aren't you legally obliged to declare when an article is an advertisement?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung's seasonal patterns

I doubt the GS6 moves the needle enough to be noticed, as it is a minority of their overall sales. The Note is released in the fall, and there are price cuts on their flagships a few months after release that some people probably wait for so even the high end product sales are probably spread fairly evenly between the four corners.

Apple is so seasonal because they only update their product line once a year, and they don't go on sale.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022