back to article Quid-A-Day kids chow down on foraged weed salad

We at the El Reg Quid-A-Day Nosh Posse headquarters received the first full report from team member Nathan Dennis yesterday afternoon, shortly after he got stuck into the Live Below the Line challenge in aid of Malaria No More UK. Regarding his basic line of attack as to how to survive on £1 a day for food, he said: "Given I …

1. Nya
    Coat

Peckish?

*I previously reported that Richard has two daughters. Not so.

What he ate them?!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Peckish?

Give it a couple of days...

2. skeptical i
    Pirate

Mmmmm, foraging.

Good on the sprogs and their "backyard bounty" class (I have a backyard full of London rocket, makes tasty salad when the leaves are still young), and certainly if one has only a dollar-and-change a day, one takes advantage of such bonuses. However, and this is nitpicky, I thought the idea of the exercise was to see how one could (or could not) manage on such a small amount of money. Would foraging (and it's urban cousin dumpster diving) be cheating? Or is that part of the game (i.e., how resourceful can you be?)?

Also respectfully suggest that pasta has more protein than rice and, if the costs are similar, might deliver more nutritional bang for the buck. At least this is true of what is sold on the west side of the pond.

1. nsld

Re: Mmmmm, foraging.

Its a fair point on the ethics of the challenge and what you should or shouldn't do.

I took the view that if I was living on a £1 a day I wouldnt have access to a car so did my shopping within walking distance rather than saving a couple of pence by driving 10 miles to an Aldi or Lidl.

I also live in the UK's answer to deliverance country so could have happily supplemented my diet with roast pheasant roadkill but again I didn't feel it was comparable to what someone genuienly on the poverty line would be able to do.

In terms of the pasta vs rice argument, the issue with value pasta is that aside from the taste it doesnt contain as much Durum Wheat as normal pasta and is a mixture of flours, probably from the factory floor so its nutritional value is low compared to normal pasta. You can't really dilute rice with other ingredients so at least you know what you are getting. For my "fish surprise" the protien comes mainly from the fish, the surprise is if the meal has any fish in it as my ladling skills are questionable.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

I also live in the UK's answer to deliverance country so could have happily supplemented my diet with roast pheasant roadkill but again I didn't feel it was comparable to what someone genuienly on the poverty line would be able to do.

I disagree. Hunger will make all sorts of things palatable that previously were not. In fact, I believe this explains a good deal of the world's cuisine, but I digress... Hunt, fish or forage: as long as it can put food on the table and in the belly, it ought to be considered fair. It should be noted that the season during which this challenge is conducted plays a large role in the outcome. Try running this during the winter while also factoring in heating costs and you will have a very real and very difficult challenge.

Kudos to the kids, by the way. Well done.

1. Richard 111

The forged salad can’t have been that tasty as the kids left quite a bit on the plates. It was more a fun thing to do while I was making pizzas. Last week was colder than normal and it paused a lot of the plant growth. Hopefully things will pick up this week. Vegetables are still very expensive up in the NE of the states. I saw the first Florida corn in the supermarket at 3 ears for a dollar. But most stuff is over $2 a pound.

If we only ate local food we would still be eating root vegetables, kraut, cereals and grains at this time of year.

Currently have lots of food prepared but not much money left so it going to be touch and go on Friday. Cooked too many beans, lentils and meat such that we have plenty of left overs but not much money. Hopefully only need to buy breakfasts and apples.

2. Triggerfish

You could argue foraging is ok. Having been a guest in some relatively poor farming areas in Thailand, foraging was pretty common, (ants egg curry surprisingly good, monitor lizard not bad from what I remember), and even with friends from there who were now better off they would still be picking up different bits you could eat when we holidaying down on the beaches like indian almonds washed in on the tide, cashew apples things like that, probably more to show us, but it showed what habits they grew up with.

3. Colin Miller

Dandelion leaves…

… are best eaten when they are young; they only get stringy as they get larger. They add a bit of nuttiness to salads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon