back to article EMC dives into Iron Mountain's cloudy backup lair

Backup, replication and DR services are being offered to EMC customers by backup bods Iron Mountain, thanks to it hosting Data Domain and Avamar replication targets in its data centres. Iron Mountain is a tape and paper archival storage service based in an old iron mine in Livingston, New York, used for growing mushrooms when …

1. Mark 85

Ferrous Pile? Steely Peak?

I would hope that the "mountain" isn't magnetic. And also that they've learned to stay away from "activist investors".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We used to use Iron Mountain's old cloud backup service, at the time it wasn't horrible. The only reason we cancelled the service was because Autonomy kept cashing our cheques and claiming they never received them.

3. Dr Abner Mality
    Gimp

Maybe they'll make it all the way to 2005

Having written free-lance blog entries for Iron Mountain's customer-facing website, all I can say is, "Meh." They seem to understand everything about records only from a storage standpoint. Nothing transactional, no decision support, analytics -- none of the things you can do with all that unstructured data you're stashing away. They claim they can provide failover and other disaster recovery methods, but their approach shows that their stuck not only in a ferrous hillock but in Big Iron as well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like