back to article IBM’s 700TB security threat database enters the cloud. Look to the heavens, hackers

IBM is putting its massive threat database up into the cloud for researchers, IT administrators, and anyone else to access in the hope of fundamentally changing how security companies defend against attackers. "Information sharing is something that has been discussed in legislation, within the industry, and between companies …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Um, wait a minute

"images and details of more than a million IP addresses linked to hacking"

Okay, I want to put the scum down as much as anyone else, but isn't there a conflict with personal data there ? Do they have the right to go and publish such data just like that ?

I mean, somebody might learn that his neighbor's address is in there and go all rambo on him or something, then the ensuing investigation reveals that it was a mistake, but too late for the innocent neighbor.

Exaggerating, of course, but still . . . is publishing data like that allowed ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Mikel

700 TB?

Maybe it's time to leave that Wintel legacy behind.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The count of the main alerts and advisories threat list I found linked to from that site

for all of 2014 plus 2015 appears to be far lower than the count of threats I've seen listed for the period covering the past month or two on other sites I use.

I've just started to scratch at the surface of the data that can be searched and analysed, and I think it's great it is made available, but I'd guess that the list I found above is not up to date.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like