back to article What just went down on Intel for three months? Er, PC and mobile chips

Intel announced its earnings based on its new financial reporting structure for the first time on Tuesday, but despite having lumped its ailing Mobile & Communications unit in with its PC Client business, there was no hiding that the three months ended on March 28 were a tough quarter for Chipzilla. Total revenue for the first …

1. Ted's Toy

Maladies of x86 cpu's

The fall in PC sale can be directly attributed to the customer disdain of Microsoft products, which are only going to continue the downward path of PC sales with the idea that the mobile/tablet inter-phase is the way to go. The use of a PC in the commercial sector where the only bastion of PC's is left does not want or require a shopping site OS. a tablet inter-phase or calling programs apps. All the modern OS is doing is chasing a market which left M/S OS systems 5 to 6 years ago and is not going to go back. This reminds me of the 1980's and early 1990's when the accounting machine giant refused to believe that their market had flown. Intel,AMD. and M/S. are now the next ones to fell what it was like for Burroughs, Wang etc.

The rise of a cloud O/S is not helping either.

The only consumer sales will soon be the PC Gaming high end market, design cad etc.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Maladies of x86 cpu's

PCs may not gorw much from here on in, but they're going to take a hell of a long time to decline.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Happy

Unless you really need all that Oommmpppphhhh

AMD is more than good enough for most punters.

Come on Intel lets have those 16 core beasts in a consumer package and at a decent price.

3. gregthecanuck

" And because margins for server chips aren't quite as razor-thin as they are in the PC market, ..."

I highly, highly doubt Intel's margins on PC chips are razor thin. That is where the bulk of their crazy 50%+ gross margins have come from. The chip prices rarely if ever are reduced once put on the market.

Here is a nice chart of their historical margins....

http://ycharts.com/companies/INTC/gross_profit_margin

4. hammarbtyp

Eating it's own tail

I have noticed a number of Intel design wins for Android devices recently, and I wondered what they are making on those. The answer know is clear, nothing or as near to nothing to make no difference.

It is clear they are eating their own tail in order to make a dent into mobile and having limited success

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like