back to article Cyber-crypto-criminal-cock-up. Little money and (probably) embarrassed

A newly released crypto-ransomware strain has been broken, thus allowing victims — in over two out of three cases — to get back their data without paying. The Scraper ransomware has a flaw, meaning that in about 70 per cent of cases files can be decrypted, according to Kaspersky Labs, with the Russian security firm publishing …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

real OS

I'd run a "decent OS" if there was a decent free OBD2 reader program for it - like there is for windows, and not the half finished command line utility i found last time i looked. Know of one 80's coder?

1. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

Re: real OS

1) You are of course correct.

2) Hardware spec. Garage PCs job is playing mp3s, streaming music from Planet Rock & other general browsing and running obd2 programs over bluetooth .I have a few elderly laptops lying around #1 struggling to run win 7 so i shut a few unneeded services and killed it. #2 I put ubuntu on it and was much more sprightly. Streaming Planet Rock no problem . Tried an mp3 and halfway through the track the machine had some sort of emblysm and i found myself wondering that the linux is for ctrl-alt-delete. "musicbox has suffered a blah blah blah ..."

3) I'll have a look for that python obd2 program. I doubt this machine has the power to run windows in a box if it cant run it natively. also i'd have to make sure the usb and bluetooth hardware was piped into the emulation , which would no doubt go wrong. Quite worried about getting usb & bluetooth working in the linux actually but Its probly not the first time its come up .

4) Maybe you should consider your own version theres possibly money to be made. People are still mostly under the delusion that if their engine light comes on its going to be a case of "Hooking it up to the big magic supercomputer at the main dealer and getting charged £100 upwards just to look at it" and that "cars are all computers these days not like they used to be" which is the equavalent of luddite office workers in the '70s and '80s saying "you'll never get me off the typewriter , at least i know where the tippex is with this"

The actual hardware interface for talking to your car is £7 on ebay

2. Vic

Re: real OS

I'd run a "decent OS" if there was a decent free OBD2 reader program for it

This is the first one Google found for me. You can run it on a variety of platforms.

Vic.

2. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

How do I get my data onto the read only media?

1. CaptainBanjax

Physical Read Only Media

Is just as vulnerable if you dont catch the infection in time.

Cryptolocker was slow and methodical which meant most people didnt notice they were infected until the dozen or so files they regularly used were fcuked.

I had a company come to me post infection to help remedy the situation. They noticed the problem weeks before all the stuff was encrypted but thought nothing of it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DropBear

"Subtle errors are easy to make in cryptographic code, so if they wrote their own implementation, even with a weakness like this, it hardly suggests no requirement [...] to know anything about coding."

I'm assuming that refers to the users who just buy the "make-a-crypto-virus" kit sold by the guys who implemented that crypto (in this case, poorly) in the first place.

3. Joey M0usepad Silver badge

Dumbing down

I once saw a phishing email purporting to be a bank. The author of which appeared unaware that he could lift the logo from the site to use in his scam - instead he settled for in incredibly poor photo of a leaflet on a desk to use as the logo.

In spite of this he did seem to have a botnet at his disposal

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021