back to article Facebook does fling COOKIES around, but privacy is assured

Facebook has responded to Belgian researchers' claims that the company violates European data law in an exhaustingly pedantic press release. Last week, a team of Belgian researchers reported that the social network giant had been illegally tracking the web browsing habits of every visitor, even if they aren't account holders, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An assurance from Facebook

Has the same level of credibility as an assurance from the Chinese government.

1. Swarthy

Re: An assurance from Facebook

Soo.. two steps above an assurance from the US Gov't then?

1. Mark 85
        Black Helicopters

Re: An assurance from Facebook

They're all at the bottom of the bottomless pit of swill. Governments, corporates, it doesn't matter which country or which corporate. No differences, just different motives and different methods. One is profit, the other control.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Devil

That explains...

... why blocking Facebook at the router adds twenty seconds to the loading time of many web pages.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That explains...

Yep, you have to loop it back. If you do the same with Google, pages load much much faster, or they don't load at all. Sites like these are the web equivalent of bloatware and spyware. if user binaries did this shit, you'd have more horrific stories similar to Java/Adobe. Well, Lenovo was just caught doing our, and you see how that went. Why should web bits be treated any different.

I missed the part were running a website entitled you to a license to steal privacy, but apparently it's literally a real license.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first

"I missed the part were running a website entitled you to a license to steal privacy, but apparently it's literally a real license."

Quite. It's a pity we can't invite all those involved in violating user privacy to a meeting for a reasoned discussion.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Blocking FB causes your browsers to wait for a timeout. If you are truly serious about this then why not:

* Redirect FB to Google+ - you'll triple their hits

* Use a transparent proxy to insert content of your choice (*)

* Redirect FB to 127.0.0.1 with predictably hillarious hosts file like results

* Redirect FB to a site that offends your totalitarian leadership a la China

* Use Squid (other proxies are available) to redirect FB to your webserver, which replies with very little. This is the correct answer by the way: a request should return something. If you want to mess with someone's website content, then you have to put some work in to change it or put up with timeouts.

Cheers

Jon

(*) OK - I've done this with a filter in Squid years ago, Google "upsidedownternet". I just have again and the original post is lost amongst all the howtos. Wish I could find the original again - anyone?

1. adnim

This what you looking for?

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nuke 'em from orbit

"transparent about [its] use of cookies, and has long disclosed their use to improve [users'] experience on Facebook"

How on earth is this a defence against accusations of tracking non users, except in La-La land? If I don't ever access your site, I shouldn't have your garbage on my machine - ever. I couldn't care less whose experience it improves.

If they persist with this, or expect non-users to take some action to prevent it, they're definitely prime candidate to end up as the EU's once-a-decade bogeyman that actually gets action taken against them that hurts.

4. James 51

I wonder if this will be admitted as evidence in the privacy case that's going through the courts at the moment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kickstarter fund to request Great Cannon attack on Facebook

All these articles about the Great Cannon have a bit of a negative tinge to them. I for one welcome the Great Cannon and would like to propose a crowdfund drive to steer the cannon toward Facebook.com - I bet for a few hundred thousand we could even get them to kick it up to 5% power.

6. Paratrooping Parrot
    Paris Hilton

Would Ghostery help protect one from this?

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"privacy is assured", with Facebook ?

Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor.

The day I trust anything Facebook says is the day I need to be put in a straightjacket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like