back to article Carrier club's copyright code off to ACMA

A day after Dallas Buyers Club won the right to get names and addresses of putative pirates in Australia, the Communications Alliance has sent its proposed piracy code off to for regulatory approval. The code – full name the Copyright Notice Scheme Code 2015 – has been submitted to the Australian Communications and Media …

1. Sanctimonious Prick
    Black Helicopters

I Propose...

Australian ISPs do this.

2. dan1980

"Copyright owners will notify ISPs of allegedly infringing IP addresses, and those addresses will get a series of escalating notices from the ISP."

Allegedly?

Personally, I think that the ISPs should be supplied with genuine proof - not just allegations that the customer is then forced to respond to.

And what does the customer - the alleged infringer - have to do to prove their innocence and get the ISP off their back? If the rights holder can simply forward lists of IPs and content they are alleged to have downloaded then the customer should be able to clear their name with a similarly perfunctory response: "nope; didn't do it".

If that response is not satisfactory, then what would be? I was at the Leo Sayer concert - here are my ticket stubs? The cat stepped on the keyboard again? Must have been my little brother when he stayed over? My son had some friends around? Someone stole my wireless? Must have been the cleaners?

What proof do you need to provide to clear your name?

I get the point but there's got to"Copyright owners will notify ISPs of allegedly infringing IP addresses, and those addresses will get a series of escalating notices from the ISP."

Allegedly?

Personally, I think that the ISPs should be supplied with genuine proof - not just allegations that the customer is then forced to respond to.

And what does the customer - the alleged infringer - have to do to prove their innocence and get the ISP off their back? If the rights holder can simply forward lists of IPs and content they are alleged to have downloaded then the customer should be able to clear their name with a similarly perfunctory response: "nope; didn't do it".

If that response is not satisfactory, then what would be? I was at the Leo Sayer concert - here are my ticket stubs? The cat stepped on the keyboard again? Must have been my little brother when he stayed over? My son had some friends around? Someone stole my wireless? Must have been the cleaners?

What proof do you need to provide to clear your name?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon