back to article VirtualBox v. 5.0 beta 1 spins up for desktop virty lab chuckles

Snoracle has decided the time is right to upgrade its VirtualBox desktop hypervisor. VirtualBox is a favourite among home lab types, developers and virtualisation fanbois because it is very good at running guest operating systems and has a significant price advantage over rivals like VMware Workstation and Parallels Desktop …

1. SecretSonOfHG

Key question: does it support accelerated 3D?

I'm not a games person, but from time to time I like to hone my radio control flying skills on a simulator, and that's for me the only remaining reason to boot Windows. Said simulator does not work under Wine, so a VBox version that supports 3D could be a means to avoid the reboot.

Won't remove Windows partition completely as significant other and kids still want to use it but...

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Key question: does it support accelerated 3D?

For Windows gaming, you could use GPU passthrough feature of kvm, if 1) your CPU supports PCI device virtualisation (this is called VT-d by Intel, do not confuse with VT-x) 2) you are lucky to own compatible GPU (newer AMD models are mostly good) and compatible motherboard. That's how I run 2 Windows instances on top of oversized headless Linux (with 2 GPUs, two keyboards etc., each for one Windows). You can find more on such setup in ArchLinux forums.

2. BobChip
    Linux

If it really does everything it promises..

If it really does what it says on the tin, then I will be upgrading as soon as it is stable. While I live and work in an almost totally Linux world, I still need to keep a toe in MS waters to deal with associates who still live there. VMs are essential tools for this. VirtualBox is my preferred software for doing it.

Drag and drop / cut and paste between OSs in VirtualBox can be very hit and miss at present and, while there are workarounds, they take time. Any improvement to this basic process will be very welcome. Also 3D acceleration which, although it is available as a setup option, can also be a bit iffy in practice.

The other enhanced capabilities look good too... Let's have it as soon as possible.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Windows

Re: If it really does everything it promises..

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, except the other way round, Windows host, linux guest(s), and yes, working drag and drop between OS's would save me a lot of time.

2. mathew42

> Drag and drop / cut and paste between OSs in VirtualBox can be very hit and miss at present and, while there are workarounds, they take time. Any improvement to this basic process will be very welcome.

What workarounds do you use? The one I commonly use is to kill the VboxTray process and restart it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm running VB5b1 on opensuse 13.2 and W7 and not run into any problems yet apart from opensuse tumbleweed which is using KDE 5. Auto resizing is a problem where the desktop doesn't resize beyond the default but app windows do, I guess it's to do with Qt5 in the guest. Bug report time.

3. Graham Triggs

Actually...

There are more reasons to prefer VirtualBox than just price

1) The networking stack is sane, and a good citizen when you have to use VPNs (unlike, say, Hyper-V).

2) Good support of Guest OS additions (had less problems installing in Linux than, say, VMWare)

3) It's portable, so you can run the host on a variety of OSes (and OS versions), and move the guests around easier. (look at Virtual PC vs Hyper-V, various versions of VMWare, etc.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022