back to article Going strictly hands-off: Managing your data centre from afar

If your core servers – and hence your core applications – live in a data centre, then by definition they're not on your premises. In many cases they may be hundreds of miles away – in fact, in a previous life, my employer's most distant data centre was six time zones away in the US Midwest. This means that you don't have the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hmmmm...

"If your core servers – and hence your core applications – live in a data centre, then by definition they're not on your premises."

And if we own the data centre?

1. Callam McMillan

Re: Hmmmm...

Then you can't really blame the data centre company when the brown stuff hits the fan!

2. Alister

My core servers, and core applications are all in a data centre - or actually, multiple data centres - but as nearly all of them are virtual machines, and the hardware is NMP (Not my Problem) I no longer have to worry about IPKVM and Serial consoles.

I'm bloody glad they existed before the wonders of P to V made my life easier, though, "Smart Hands" support is no substitute for watching the thing boot yourself.

3. ecarlseen

And in things only a data center geek can get excited about...

Console servers had been stagnant for about a decade or so, until Lantronix released the new SLC-8000 series. I've deployed two of them so far, and for those of you who are sick of console servers with grotesquely underpowered CPUs, 8-year-old vulnerabilities that are still unpatched, etc., it's a wonder to behold. It's fast & slick to use. The pin layout lets you connect Cisco console ports with a standard straight-through CAT-5 or CAT-6 cable (no adapters!). They're even adding USB console support for those things that have (gasp) moved beyond RS-232.

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/console-servers/slc8000.html

4. mr_splodge

I'm not sure I agree that an IP KVM is really a necessary thing. Both HP iLO and IBM's IMM have lights-out KVM access and you can get into the BIOS screen on both. In the case of HP iLO, even without the product being licensed; you only lose your console connection once the installed OS is up. IBM aren't so generous but you can still power cycle a machine with no license.

5. Reg Whitepaper

IPMI

If you've got any reasonably competent IPMI baseboard management controller then you'll be able to remotely power down/up and likely a decent Serial Over LAN interface to access the BIOS should you need to.

The Dell iDRAC6 onwards is real nice for the built in KVM and remote media though ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like