back to article Robot Overlords: Tween babysitting fodder with no in-jokes for the adults

Robot Overlords is an old-school kids’ movie, with none of the surreptitious nods to the dragged along adult audiences that we’ve become accustomed to, just friendly, under-13s fun. When a race of giant alien robots come to Earth, the war (represented by sound effects behind a blank screen for the youngsters) lasts just 11 …

1. Chris Miller

Sounds like a slightly dumbed-down Tripods (not that there's anything wrong with that).

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

@Chris

Nothing wrong with Tripods, but I remember the TV series ending abruptly. I hope this one does better.

Based on IMDB ratings and user reviews I think I'll pass this one though.

1. Chris Miller

Re: @Chris

Yes - they made two out of three and then cancelled the last one. According to WikiP, Disney have the film rights and a project that''s been 'under development' for decades (but they'd probably set it in Iowa).

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Windows

Re: @Chris

These Tripods? Someone even remembers them? My goodness.

I have to say the sexual fantasy whereby the aliens transform the most beautiful girls of the community into stuffed animals for exposition was very disturbing. Probably couldn't even reach print stage today.

2. Teslahed

I found it pretty entertaining but i had drunk a rather large amount of wine first. It's probably not a movie to watch when you are fully engaged and thinking clearly. It was definitely the acting from the main characters (kids) that made the movie so watchable.

3. wolfetone Silver badge

How did they manage to go from fixing a PlayStaiton to shocking themselves with a car battery?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That didn't make sense. At first I thought they were using the battery to power the playstation, but they had wall electric, or at least the TV did. They also never bothered to figure out what caused the shock to work, they assumed a "dodgy" part. The movie was highly generic, acting was O.K., but writing was completely unoriginal.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"They also never bothered to figure out what caused the shock to work, they assumed a "dodgy" part."

Sounds like it was based on the UK car industry from the 1970's.

"There's a dent on this wing"

"Does it have four wheels and move?"

"Yes."

"Then who cares."

4. Epobirs

My first thought when I saw this on a torrent site was, "Ben Kingsley is really bad with money or has very strange taste."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Electric shocks can do anything

When I was a boy my model train controller had, in addition to it's 12V DC output, a 16V AC output. Poking my fingers into that made me invisible. I've been wandering around stark naked ever since, it's a bit nippy out :)

6. Smallbrainfield
    Terminator

Well I for one welcome our robot overlords.

(Can't believe nobody has posted this comment yet. Standards are slipping, commentards).

7. Elmer Phud

Ben

Ben Kingsley should have reprised his Don Logan.

A right evil fucker and no mistake -- one of the most sacry things to come to the screen.

Lecter? -- 'kin lightweight!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon