back to article Cops cuff Colorado girl for allegedly poisoning mum after iPhone ban

A preteen child was reportedly manacled in Colorado, US yesterday, after allegedly attempting to poison her mother twice, because the kid's iPhone had been taken away from her. According to the Denver Post, it was claimed by police that an unnamed, 12-year-old girl used bleach to try to kill her mum. Boulder County Sheriff's …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wrong poison

Should have used THC to make Mama mellow.

1. phil dude
      WTF?

Re: wrong poison

Alternatively, how about making sure the child gets the clinical attention this decidedly sad act would seem to suggest, rather than the criminal torture and further damage that will inevitably be the result.

The thing is, this is click bait and feeds the pathology of media sympathy by proxy.

How disturbed is that family and will the media coverage improve their situation?

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@phil dude - Re: wrong poison

Clinical attention ? Sorry, pal, you put a teaspoon of sugar in a barrel full of sh%# and it will still be sh%#. That child is unrecoverable and totally lost for the society no matter of how much public money is spent on recovery attempts.

1. fruitoftheloon
          WTF?

@idiot AC: Re: @phil dude - wrong poison

Ac,

Presumably you know the family personally, as of course how could you have come up with such a half-arsed, ill-informed and moronic response if you didn't....?

If you have kids, I hope for their sake(s) that they don't have any major growing up and/or mental health problems, if they do I hope there is a grown-up that they can talk to before the snowball has picked up too much momentum.

J.

2. phil dude
          Trollface

Re: @phil dude - wrong poison

wrong icon AC, should have been --->

P.

2. Sarah Balfour
      FAIL

THC - as in tetrahydrocannabinol…? Yeah, good luck poisoning with that, you'd probably need more THC than the world's current cannabis supply can produce to cause someone to feel even slightly off-colour.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

40,000 times as much as would kill a mouse.

Its LD50 is so low its barely worth registering. Di-hydrogen-monoxide is more lethal. ;-)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It is Ma that needs help here

Frankly, sometimes I start thinking that requiring a license for parenting is not such a bad idea.

After all, it is quite clear that Ma has failed in her duty to teach the offspring what is right, what is wrong, what is a proportionate response and are you entitled to even consider the idea of responding prior to being able to foot the bill for a 500$+ iThing as well as its running costs.

Disclaimer - I got two kids, one of which is ~ that age.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: It is Ma that needs help here

Like my dad says: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Maybe ma failed? Maybe the kid is incorrigible? Peer pressure and influence are powerful persuaders as well. Also, there is no mention of dad in the picture.

I hope they both get the help they need.

2. kain preacher

Who said it's moms fault. Sound like she is raising psychopath. If that is the case no amount parenting can fix that . If she is a true psychopath there is very little therapy can do. You can't make a person start liking people. You can't make a person feel empathy. She has 3 choice is life. Become criminal, CEO or politician.

1. The_Idiot

@kain preacher

Hmmm. Er - that looks like three ways of saying the same choice - but maybe I'm just being cynical (huh? Cynical? _Moi_? (blush)).

2. Captain DaFt

"She has 3 choice is life. Become criminal, CEO or politician."

Don't sell her short. There is a fourth option: She could always pick a religion and become an Evangelist.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That's just a subclass of criminal.

3. adnim

@Kain Re: It is Ma that needs help here

Psychopaths are not born, they are created. Every new born is a blank and slate any genetic tendency can be overwritten by nurture. A brain continues to develop outside of the womb and that development can be directed. What you are basically saying is that a value system is not taught. I disagree, children are initially programmed, conditioned, indoctrinated and instilled with values by parents. Eventually peer pressure has a strong influence. By the age of 12 a value system should have been set up by the parents.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Kain It is Ma that needs help here

So in your sweeping statement that

Psychopaths are not born, they are created. Every new born is a blank and slate any genetic tendency can be overwritten by nurture. A brain continues to develop outside of the womb and that development can be directed.

Are you saying that those well documented cases of psychopaths that were in such a state because of a very real pyshical issue regarding brain structure didnt occur? that the medical investigations that proved that these people were this way because of odd/missing brain growth or a failure of their genetics/DNA to correctly make the connections/process input can be encouraged by 'nurture' to love others??

Some are born like that as a result of genetic issues, deal with it or provide peer reviewed evidence to the contrary to disprove countless medical journals

2. Elmer Phud

"Every new born is a blank and slate any genetic tendency can be overwritten by nurture."

Care to 'cure' me of homosexuality?

3. fruitoftheloon
          Happy

@adnim: ERR WHAT? Re: @Kain It is Ma that needs help here

Adnim,

I have been studying this area you refer to for a while, I seem to have overlooked the paper(s) that underpin your statement, I would appreciate you posting links to them, abstracts would be fine...

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers,

J

4. Voland's right hand Silver badge

@adnim

Psychopaths are not born, they are created. Some are born. It is an unfortunate fact of life that it is possible for nature to do the same thing which is normally achieved via a specific type of lobotomy. Depending on how you do the cut you can remove usual "social animal" inhibitiions and produce a raging sociopath. The same effect is commonly observed in 3rds stage syphilis for the same reason (Lenin, some of the 17-18th century royalty, etc being a classic example).

These however (both born and created by surgery or disease) are _NOT_ a majority, they are a minority.

The majority are exactly as you say - raised to be such as a failure of parenting - total inability to set up an appropriate value system.

In any case, I will reiterate, it is Ma who needs help here. The fact that a 12 year old was flashing about with a 500$+ phone (even if it was a hand-me-down) in the first place tells me all I need to know about this case.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's not really 3 choices is it? Several of those are the same... ;)

3. enormous cow turd

Interesting that when it is a child that has done something heinous we blame the parent but when an adult does something equally bad, we blame just the adult. Abusers were once children, many of them victims of abuse themselves - perpetrators of horrific abuse have all-too-often been the victims of similarly horrific abuse themselves. But at every point we are all capable of making decisions and this girl casually chose to do something horrific - she should be punished, then helped. We fail our children by continuously pouring complements and over-praising them or perpetrating the lie that if you want something enough you can have it (just watch one of the 'XXXX Got Talent' shows to see a stream of wannabe's who expect to get into show-biz because it's really important to them). It just turns out spoiled narcissists with no boundaries or values.

We have to also recognise the power of peer groups and social media. At 12 years old this girls friends are much more important to her than her parents and her iPhone is her way of keeping 24 hour contact with them. Western Society is in a bit of a mess.

1. fruitoftheloon
        WTF?

@Enormous cow turd: Re: It is Ma that needs help here

E c t,

'We fail our children', speak for yourself matey, fyi my 6yo lad doesn't know what a 'talent/reality show' (there is an oxymoron if ever I saw one) is....

As to a 12 year old small person having her friends more important than her parents.... if that is progress then I am a race horse.

Cheers,

J

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

The girl is ill. She's addicted to tech

Seeing the tantrums of a 14yr old American Girl last week when she had no mobile phone reception out in the Negev I quite believe the girl was showing the same sort of addiction.

This girl went totally apeshit and called her parents Torturers, War Criminals and worse. The family was only going to be out of phone range for two days but for this girl, it was the end of the world.

This is a real sad state of affairs. These kids need proper help not lampooning.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The girl is ill. She's addicted to tech

Oh please, that's just a slippery slope of letting people off the hook for their behavior because 'addiction'. If that girl in the Negev was throwing a tantrum because she didn't have access to electricity so her iPod would run out of juice, does that mean she's addicted to music? If she threw a fit because she was going to miss the final episode of The Bachelor, does that mean she's addicted to TV?

The article I'm sure you read about a study showing similar brain chemistry in drug addicts and "tech addicts" was worthless, because you can see that same response for almost anything! Such studies give bottom of the barrel scientists a way to secure a grant when they're unable to come up with any original research. They know the outcome will be "newsworthy" and eaten up by clueless dolts who don't understand the stimulus/response triggers in the brain are designed to work that way. We evolved to be "addicted" to things we enjoy. It is a survival trait for sex and rich foods, it is a side effect it also works for everything else from alcohol to starting fires to binge watching on Netflix.

That girl in the Negev acted the way she did because her parents aren't worthy of the title, not because of "tech addiction". The girl in the article who tried to kill her mom with bleach is mentally ill, plain and simple. Tech addiction has nothing to do with it. Her mental illness would eventually manifest itself even if she lived in an Amish community with no tech.

2. Elmer Phud

"This girl went totally apeshit and called her parents Torturers, War Criminals and worse. The family was only going to be out of phone range for two days but for this girl, it was the end of the world."

Well, yeah, I:ve been called worse by teenagers.

And it's usually Groan-ups that are the first to whinge when they can't get to this week's must have totally pointess waste of time and bandwidth. Where do you think the kids get it from?

(See also 'whadddayamean I can't get a signal on the Tube!' )

(see also 'I am unable to drive without texting or chatting and fuck the rest of you)

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

This article links to a report by a Child Psychologist who claims that smartphone use by children is damaging them.

http://science.slashdot.org/story/15/03/23/038220/child-psychotherapist-easy-and-constant-access-to-the-internet-is-harming-kids

If this report is otally twrong then why are children going apeshit (or worse) when they go into a mobile phone not-spot for a few hours/days? Can someone care to explain?

4. skeptical i
    Paris Hilton

Her name's not Veruca, is it?

"Don't care how, I want it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW"

1. DropBear

Re: Her name's not Veruca, is it?

Indeed. To all those who think that everything can be solved with parenting, I can only wish they never end up having to experience the realities of that situation. And please don't even think of going the "everyone who failed just didn't try hard enough / the right way / etc." route - please do appreciate I'm trying to stay civil here.

5. Me19713
    WTF?

What she needed

Was a good and proper whack in the backside at an early age. I watch parents struggle with their children in the supermarket on a regular basis after work - pulling stuff off the shelves in the cart, grabbing candy and eating it while shopping, while the "parent" is busy jabbering on their telephone in a tone that carries two aisles over.

It is enough to make you believe in retroactive abortion.

1. I Am Spartacus
      Pint

Re: What she needed

"It is enough to make you believe in retroactive abortion."

You owe me a clean shirt for that one!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Me19713 - Re: What she needed

... and castration too for good measure.

3. Elmer Phud

" while the "parent" is busy jabbering on their telephone in a tone that carries two aisles over."

It starts before that -- there usued to be conversations between kids in buggies and adults.

Now it's an ignored and thus whining child.

Anyone weilding a double-buggy and attempting to use a phone ought to be given lessons on both social interaction and the Highway Code -- not in control of a vehicle, due care and attention, shoving bugggie in to road while waiting at crossing -etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree that "a good and proper whack in the backside at an early age" is indeed a very important lesson that many parents fail to give their kids. However, it doesn't work nearly as well as you might hope. There is a *LOT* more to good parenting than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

"a good and proper whack in the backside at an early age"...

Great, can I do that to the next whining adult?

Have two kids, never hit either of them, but also never seen them "pulling stuff off the shelves in the cart, grabbing candy and eating it while shopping" for which these kids that don't get hit seem to do apparently.

Yet seen plenty of kids doing that who's parents scream at them "put that fucking back or I'm going to wallop your back side." Then promptly shout at the kids for crying.

Odd that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's sad...

...that this young girl has no grasp of reality. The fact that she has an iPhone at the age of 12 suggests Mum isn't all that bright either. The mentality that exists about cellphones being a "necessity" for children is quite revealing. Cellphones for most people young and old is entertainment because they are bored.

The epitome of stupidity is when I observed a woman careening down the road with a cellphone in her ear, her teenage son in the passenger seat talking on his phone and the younger sister in the back seat talking on her phone. What message does this send to impressionable youth?

We live in a very crazy world and it's getting more crazy everyday.

1. Swarthy
      Childcatcher

Re: It's sad...

I don't agree that the kid having a $500 cell phone is a sign of bad parenting. My kid has a $400 laptop (His, only his, and not a hand-me-down; but it was bought re-furbished) and has not been prone to grabbing things off shelves, throwing fits in stores, or trying to kill his parents since he was about 2.

The policy that my wife and I have embraced for our kids is that all promises to our kids must be kept, and threats count as promises. We never threaten a punishment we will not carry out (the laptop is just one more thing we can take away when behavior warrants) and we never promise rewards we are not willing to deliver, even if spending an afternoon at Chuck E Cheese makes us regret that policy when they take the bribe earn their reward.

7. Stevie

Bah!

Sweet Azathoth's nebular nodes.

8. Andy Tunnah

Wonder what colour..

If she was white it'll be a lost girl over-reacting to what she perceived as a serious incident in her life, and will receive counselling

But if she was a minority she is an evil child that will be locked up to stop this spawn of satan doing it again.

Over to you Fox News!

1. 404

Re: Wonder what colour..

Why make it racial? The whole situation is fscked up. Period.

9. thomas k.

What a relief!

Just a normal, everyday psycho, then; she didn't claim she did it because of the Slender Man.

1. frank ly

Re: What a relief!

She's probably too young to remember Steve Jobs.

10. John Tserkezis

I would be even more disturbed...

...if she tried to kill her mother for taking away her Windows Phone.

11. Breen Whitman

Fortunately, in the state she is in their is no limitation on the death penalty.

Conspiracy to commit murder could send her to the chair.

Which is justified I feel.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's dangerous

to give birth to psychopaths.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like