back to article Sensitive apps with 6.3 BILLION downloads found open to FREAK

Thousands of Android and Apple apps could lose sensitive financial and privacy data through exposure to the FREAK vulnerability, researchers say. The FREAK (Factoring RSA Export Keys) attack allowed sensitive data to be stolen before encrypted connections are secured by requesting weak export-grade 512-bit RSA keys. FireEye …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Holmes

Who's phone?

With my desktop and laptop I have the (probably illusory) feeling that I'm in control of the device. I decide what's installed; manually thank you Adobe etc., set up the security, decide what accesses the 'net and so on.

When I got my first smartphone I quickly decided that it wasn't my phone. Apps would update themselves, and let's not get started on the "permissions" debacle.

So, I decided against undertaking any financial transaction on the phone, other than buying some minor tat on eBay.

I haven't changed that view.

1. Tom 13

Re: Who's phone?

Even if I trusted the phone OS and apps were truly mine, I still wouldn't want an App on my phone for my banking. I've lost both phones and wallets, but never the behemoth box that sits by my desk at home.

2. Bloodbeastterror

Which apps?

Is the Android list available? I don't see it, and it would be good to know if the one finance app I have is on the list. I may just lose it for the moment until I'm sure it's ok.

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021