back to article China's BYD ramps up 'leccycar battery production in challenge to Tesla

Warren Buffett-backed Chinese car manufacturer BYD is aiming to compete with Tesla Motors by tripling its production of batteries for electric cars over the next three years. BYD will produce an additional six gigawatt-hours' worth of batteries per year over the next three years, said company spokesperson Matthew Jurjevich, …

1. cs94njw
    Thumb Up

Competition is good

2. MatsSvensson

Six gigawatt-hours?!

Great Scott!!

1. Ragarath

Sorry I had to...

Is that pronounced Giga or Jiga?

1. Donkey Molestor X

Re: Sorry I had to...

> Is that pronounced Giga or Jiga?

just pronounce it any way you like and the good Lord will provide

*suddenly gets struck by lightning*

2. Richard Taylor 2
      Flame

Only if you plug him in

3. Hairy Spod

Battery tech does seem to do something that they do right, I know they are starting to become popular as taxis in some parts of the UK.

As soon as they improve the refinement a bit and just as importantly get around to producing a car that can accellerate up a hill at a decent rate BYD might be become a real global player.

4. Steve Todd

Battery life is an issue on the Tesla?

Last thing I heard they were exceeding their target of 80% of original capacity after 8 years of use.

Lithium iron cells have the advantage of being safer, with no tendency towards thermal runaway. They have the distinct disadvantage of significantly lower energy density, so you need a bigger, heavier battery pack for the same range.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery life is an issue on the Tesla?

Ion

1. Steve Todd

Re: Battery life is an issue on the Tesla?

LiFePo - Lithium Iron Phosphorus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like