back to article Mandarin Oriental coughs to credit card breach

Upmarket hotel chain Mandarin Oriental has admitted to a credit card breach. Investigative journalist Brian Krebs uncovered evidence of a breach before extracting an admission of the problem from the hotel group. The root cause of the security spill – as well as the number of credit cards exposed – remains unclear, pending …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"A lot of people these days accept the fact that their data online is not safe and will be subjected to theft at some point."

I don't know about that, if we're talking about credit card details then I don't think many people have resigned to the fact that they will be stolen at some point. Breaches like this should be independently investigated and if there was failings by the organisation, whether it is in staff training (allowing a random engineer to 'fix' their card payment terminal) or not holding data security, they should be hit with a significant fine. It may be argued that this will make companies fail to report a breach, however just make reporting mandatory and have an even larger fine with sanctions if they fail to report.

How does a credit monitoring service help in these circumstances, I though that just affect identity fraud and opening up accounts in your name, not payment card fraud?

2. theblackhand

Translation

"A lot of people these days accept the fact that their data on-line is not safe and will be subjected to theft at some point."

Or:

A lot of people hope that when they entrust their financial details to a third party, the third party will take adequate care to avoid being in breach of local civil/criminal laws. Unfortunately we have failed to achieve this on this occasion - and on a more positive note, luckily we haven't been caught for anything else yet. Hopefully you weren't too severely inconvenienced by our failings and will remain a customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022