back to article Cash'n'Carrion restocks atomic keyrings

Having seriously underestimated Reg reader demand for atomic keyrings, Vulture Central's merchandising tentacle Cash'n'Carrion has just taken delivery of another big box of the Nite Glowrings and Mini Glowrings - sufficient we're assured to meet the tritium-powered illumination needs of those who missed out on the first batch …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's next?

Stay-Hard spray?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's next?

I think that Get-Hard spray would be more popular for the ElReg oldies.

2. Harry the Bastard

one with a glowing ☢ would be good

3. Tweetiepooh

I have some of the originals

when they cost ~£30 for 6 and they are still working fine. Made nice pressies.

4. Herby

How??

Do I get one of these in the wonderful USA? Is there a local vendor?

Do you ship them to far away places incased in lead foil? Maybe you could put it in the middle of a nice solder roll (then again probably not due to silly RoHS regulations).

Total bummer!!

1. PleebSmash
      Mushroom

Re: How??

Just glue two of the small ones together and you'll have your nuclear weapon.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Sarah Balfour

£30 for 6…?!

That must've been for the widdle ones then, I assume…? I've just had to measure 18mm - I can't get one of those I'd lose it within 5 seconds!

They're the kinda thing Dad's late dad would have found "extraordinary", and most likely "intriguing".

Why is it that both sizes don't come in the same colours…? Both of the big blue ones look identical to me. Why can't I have a turquoise one…? Or a pink one…? Or a big green one…? Why aren't elephants orange…?

(Don't ask. I had THAT dream again last night. Yes, that one. Except this time there was snakes. I REALLY MUST quit reading the Reg before bed).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: £30 for 6…?!

Of course the soothing pipe full of Opium was a mere distraction.....

6. Daniel Hall
    Unhappy

I take it mine is part of this new stock?

Mine hasnt turned up yet, Order placed last Saturday.

1. murtonator

Re: I take it mine is part of this new stock?

Ordered mine on Friday and not got it yet either. A red one. The colours I wanted were out of stock :(

1. Daniel Hall

Re: I take it mine is part of this new stock?

Same here, and now they're in stock I want my original choice of UV!

7. james 68

I bought one must be 11 or 12 years ago, when they had metal caps on the ends and weren't covered in that silly writing up the sides.

Worked brilliantly till last Friday when it just stopped glowing altogether, I recon the little glass tritum container inside cracked, however it had received serious abuse over its lifetime so it can be forgiven.

It went through 3 motorcycle crashes and was thrown about numerous times when attached to luggage on foreign flights, as well as all the normal day to day abuse over those years.

Rugged pieces of kit.

8. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Megaphone

I hope you don't have those boxes of NUCLEAR DEATH KEYRINGS stacked up next to somone's desk? Otherwise it won't only be The Daily Planet that has a reporter with superpowers.

Since going to an El Reg lecture last December I've developed the super-ability to consume my own bodyweight in pork pies in a single evening.

9. Mike Wilson

£4 shipping to UK?!

Fancied one right up until I saw that.

10. FrankAlphaXII

I wish the NRC didn't suck. I'd love to get one,

That is all.

I love their reasoning for it too. This is straight from an email from NRC:

NRC regulations [10 CFR 30.19(c) and 10 CFR 32.22(b)] and policy (Federal Register Notice of

March 16, 1965, 30 FR 3462) do not allow licensing toys, novelties, adornments or any consumer product containing radioactive material considered a frivolous use of radioactive material and where the end use of the product cannot be reasonably foreseen.

Other consumer products that are not frivolous use, but contain self-luminous radioactive

material, must go through a two step safety review process consisting of: (1) an engineering evaluation and registration for the device as well as (2) a licensing review of the program involved in possession and distribution of radioactive material.

In order for NRC to be sure consumer products containing radioactive material are safe for distribution to the general public the product must be below a certain activity and/or found to incorporate engineering features making release of the radioactive material unlikely. In

addition environmental studies must show that during the product's life from manufacture to disposal, no adverse impact will be caused on the environment or on those who may come in contact with the radioactive material"

Even though there's less tritium in one of these things than occurs in your tap water over a month, NRC thinks its frivolous, won't license them, and won't let them in the country.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: I wish the NRC didn't suck. I'd love to get one,

"Even though there's less tritium in one of these things than occurs in your tap water over a month"

Maybe a future El Reg Cash'n'Carrion product will be a molecular sieve tweaked to separate out the tritium from your tap water. I'm sure that would be legal in your country :-)

3. qwertyuiop
      Mushroom

Re: I wish the NRC didn't suck. I'd love to get one,

If you could disguise it as a gun you'd have no problem getting it in the States!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or buy from the source...

http://www.niteglowrings.com

More colour options - including tinted ones, bulk purchasing discounts, cheaper postage...

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Unhappy

Inventory is up, cart is down

"Due to an unexpected technical problem, cashncarrion.co.uk is temporarily unavailable. Please check back in a few minutes – we'll be up and running in no time!"

1. Steve K

Re: Inventory is up, cart is down

Still unavailable, 2 years later....

13. Pawl

These things glow for a loooong time

The half-life of tritium is 12 years. I've had several of these glowtubes for over 18 years and they can still be seen in the dark. Not as bright as when they were new, but quite visible.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone know which color produces the most (visibly brightest) light?

BTW, for those outside the UK, Aliexpress vendors have these and the bare inserts too.

1. Pawl

Green is the color you want for the most visibility, for the same reason that green lasers seem to be the brightest--the human eye is most sensitive to green light.

This topic is closed for new posts.