back to article Virtual reality WHIPLASH CHAIR in shutdown scare

Incongruous among the mobile marketing solutions and miscellaneous apps in the Spanish section at Mobile World Congress was the VR experience from Spanish company Whiplash. On a stand which was significantly too small, the company demonstrated its two-axis articulated seat tied to binocular displays. As one hapless potential …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is MWC. It has become a CeBIT replica

Come on, Juniper + Amdocs is showing vCPE. WTF does that have to do with mobile.

That is just one example. It is such a big event than anyone and anything which has the marketing budget to attend and wants to draw attention to itself considers this as a "must show". Consumer gadgets, provider software (remember the 'date a cute ukrainian "developer"' offer from a few years back) - you name it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is MWC. It has become a CeBIT replica

Who cares?

If it's cool, it's cool.

If it's deadly, Reg is there.

1. j-g

Re: This is MWC. It has become a CeBIT replica

They did some demos finally (with the girl in the photo, no regular visitors), and it looked quite fun. I'm definitely looking forward to trying it.

While true that it's not very "mobile" (apart from using your phone as a controller), they have the excuse that they are a Catalan startup and as such were present in the section sponsored by the Generalitat de Catalunya.

2. Little Mouse

It's so real

The Hapless Potential Customer must have been pretty impressed, stomping around a virtual office, trashing the virtual furniture and laying waste to virtual colleagues. Impressive tactile feedback! Lifelike screams! You can even smell the blood! Awesome!

Oh shi...

3. Vinyl-Junkie
    Coat

Disappointed...

Whiplash chair? I was expecting something NSFW at the very least...

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Disappointed...

personally, I was thinking medical imiging would get involved...

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Disappointed...

I am sure that €10000 would buy me quite a few good hours of "whiplash" experience that would be very NSFW. But then I have friends in low places...

4. MacD++

Konix Multisystem "Power Chair" anyone?

Perhaps they should take some lessons from Konix, and just how spectacularly they went bust trying to invent the same thing for their MultiSystem console thirty odd years ago.

http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk/index.php?id=konix_chair

1. ammabamma
      Facepalm

Re: Konix Multisystem "Power Chair" anyone?

For some reason I misread that company's name as Kronix. I thought to myself what would happen if those companies merged together: Kronix Whiplash

Now there's a name that will attract punters! (Or possibly legions of injury lawyers/sue-vultures)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Does what it says on the tin'.

I genuinely thought that this apparatus was a 'Whiplash' simulator! "Goodness me", i thought, "i wonder if there's a 'Neck Brace' booth next door with an 'Ambulance Chaser' simulator?"

6. Sarah Balfour
    Devil

Bussines edition…?

Good to see you're adhering to the usual strict El Reg proofreading protocol, Si!

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Bussines edition…?

In adhering to the standard business model, the decison will be made higher up, the execution of the idea and any attributable blame will go to an underling.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Bussines edition…?

Si got it right, if you check the original website it's in a delightful mix of Spanish and WTFish all held together with stock photos and free templates.

Come to mention it that does sound a bit like El Reg.

http://whiplash.es/bussines.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon