back to article Cert-slurping security firms chop super-fishy features

Security companies Lavasoft and AdTrustMedia, have been found using the SSL slurping certificate - or something very similar - made infamous by the Lenovo-Superfish debacle. Lavasoft used the certificate in its web inspection software Ad-Aware Web Companion and the Alpha testing version of AdBlocker. The software was …

1. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

A step in the right direction

The program was designed to replace malvertising with legitimate ads...

So going from worst to bad, then? A real "win for users" would be the elimination of anything that looked or behaved like the original from their point of view. Just get rid of the advertising entirely and remove the temptation of OEMs to treat their customers like products. Greed will always be open to exploitation.

2. Amorous Cowherder
    Thumb Up

As the late, great Bill Hicks said...

"If anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill yourself. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. There's no fuckin' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil fuckin' presence."

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: As the late, great Bill Hicks said...

Yeah, because the worst thing here was seeing a few ads, wasn't it? So let's not worry about the developers building shitty borked silent HTTPS proxies into their software and compromising your privacy and security, have a good rant at the marketing and advertising people instead.

3. Dave Harvey
    FAIL

They're missing the point - just like Lenovo...

"The potential issue is only present if a user visits a site that actually has a self-signed certificate.”

WRONG - the issue is present if you visit ANY site via a network that could POSSIBLY be hijacked by someone doing a man-in-the-middle attack - as the attacker would be free to "re-sign" the traffic back to you with a self-signed cert, which you would then not notice.

I'm not sure which is worse - the original error, or the attempt to play it down!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're missing the point - just like Lenovo...

Ya beat me to it! My head almost exploded when I read "The potential issue".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe orgs will finally understand.......

.....why us security types are SO FUCKING PARANOID! LOL

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Maybe orgs will finally understand.......

No, they won't ever understand it. There are people that understand Murphy's Law and all it's permutations and there are people that don't. The former understand that both malice aforethought and stupidity, no let's call it ignorance instead, exist; the latter never will. I'm not paranoid as a mental disease. I'm well aware of most, if not all, the various modes of FAIL when it comes to most every field of engineering practiced today. Unfortunately, what we are mostly seeing of late is "It seemed like a good idea at the time." Even by marketing types let alone engineers.

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

Lavasoft

Got 0wned by ad companies several years ago.

Does anyone still use them?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like