back to article Global DNS power grab: US senators want a word with ICANN next week

The process to move oversight of the world's DNS system away from the US government is heading to Congress with a hearing scheduled for later this month. On 25 February, the Senate's commerce committee will run a session called "Preserving the Multistakeholder Model of Internet Governance". The session will feature the man in …

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Ensuring that an IP package will propagate over somebody else's networks is just the same sort of stuff as ensuring that your telephony data will propagate over somebody else's networks. That's a job for the ITU not gov.us.

1. Yes Me Silver badge
      WTF?

Er, piffle. It's not a job for the USG and never has been, and it's not a job for the ITU and never has been. It's a job for the voluntary technical standards that have been ensuring that it works since 1983. No government or UN help needed, thanks.

By the way they aren't called "packages". They've been called "packets" since the 1960s.

2. P. Lee Silver badge

You can't filter out the bad guys

What are you going to do, not give address space to Somali pirates or the Taliban?

With ipv6 its even harder due to the lack of scarcity.

You can't stop people with physical access, the the Russians can set up their own DNS servers and pass all local DNS traffic to them for "proxying" before forwarding out to the US or European parts of the internet.

You can have secure, or you can have insecure, but you can't have "secure but only for the good guys." -Schneier

3. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

"we have to protect that internet from evil dictators and authoritarian governments"

I'm sorry, I think another Irony Detector has just melted down...

1. phil dude
      Thumb Up

Re: "we have to protect that internet from evil dictators and authoritarian governments"

Yes, that's the one powered by the DoAsWeSayNotAsWeDo political machine.

It's quantum apparently, because there are superimposed deception states.

When observed it is always false, no matter what truth is on display.

P.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why would this matter, really

Wasn't part of the reason for IPv6 that there'd be IPs enough for everyone? I thought that APNIC, ARIN, AFRINIC and LACNIC (I'm embarrassed that I can't remember them all) already had their IPv6 assignments?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020