back to article Swedish National Font marches to the sound of whalesong

A Strategy Boutique tasked by the Swedish government to come up with a new brand identity for the land of Abba and surströmming has spunked God alone knows how much wonga to create a "global brand identity" comprising the country's flag and the word "Sverige". The new Swedish brand frontage - with flag and shiny new font …

1. John Savard

Worried

I'm just glad that Sweden avoided sparking a conflict with Switzerland by declaring Helvetica the Swedish National Font!

2. Bloodbeastterror

"Strategy Boutique"

As soon as I read this...

Tossers. This is how they spend our tax dollars...?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: "Strategy Boutique"

Better this than arming some psychopath or giving a tosser a truckload of arms so that a psychopath can pick it up at a later date.

Also, make it Tössers, so it has a proper IKEA style sound.

3. Simon Rockman

Good grief, the kerning between the cap S and the v or w is horrid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

http://xkcd.com/1015/

2. Jedit Silver badge

"Good grief, the kerning between the cap S and the v or w is horrid."

Not as bad as blue text on a yellow field. What's the national motto of Sweden - "Fuck The Colourblind"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Good grief, the kerning between the cap S and the v or w is horrid."

"Not as bad as blue text on a yellow field. What's the national motto of Sweden - "Fuck The Colourblind"?"

I've never heard of Blue/Yellow colour blindness - is this a real thing?

3. blokedownthepub

... and the "i" has serifs when the rest doesn't. Is this common in font designs?

4. Khaptain Silver badge

I am amused

It would have been amusing to have seen the English version using Blighted rather than Blighty.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: I am amused

Although to be true to the Swedish version, it would have to read England and England...

2. Elmer Phud

Re: I am amused

I was waiting to see if someone else had got ther first.

Ta.

(there seem to be some Brits about who welcomed the massacre)

5. John H Woods Silver badge

Words on flags ...

We could do with some words superimposed on our flag, even if it is just THIS WAY UP. Bloody annoys me when I see it upside down, not quite sure why (probably growing up in the bosom of the British Army of the Rhine). Or just stick that Welsh Dragon on it, that'd make it a bit more obvious, as well as giving them a proper place on the flag. But, for goodness sake, keep those responsible for the London 2012 logo WELL AWAY.

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Re: Words on flags ...

It's a bit insensitive of you to be annoyed at people in distress. It's a cry for help really.

2. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: Words on flags ...

"London 2012 logo"

BEST

LOGO

EVER

(of Lisa Simpson giving a b-j)

6. Mark 78

Am I the only one......

who read this as the Swedish National Front were marching to Whalesong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I the only one......

A fusion of the Far Right and Greenpeace.....y'know it could just happen.

1. Lord Raa

Horseshoe theory makes it a possibility.

2. Mark 85

Sorry, but unless you know the words, there's no marching permitted. Humming is not allowed.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Swedish National Front

SPLITTERS!!!

4. Teiwaz

That was pretty much the reason I clicked on the link.

Then I was confused when presented with what looked like the new keyboard/language indicator icon for windows 10.

7. big_D Silver badge

Make the flag

a trapezoid and it could be a Microsoft product...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They can re-badge themselves all they want, but....

...they're still shithouses for letting the yanks have their own way all the time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They can re-badge themselves all they want, but....

True. "England. 51st State" would work a lot better. Maybe add some bits of blue and a few stars & stripes to the basic red&white motif.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Maybe add some bits of blue and a few stars & stripes to the basic red&white motif.

I guess you missed the bit about the New England Patriot font. Subtle, but amusing.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Is that you Julien ?

3. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Yes, damn you Sweden, you bastion of neo-republicanism and unilateral military action you!

9. Electron Shepherd
    Facepalm

Not Just The Swedes...

SiteWatch A Design Agency tasked by The Register to come up with a new layout for the land of vultures has spunked God alone knows how much wonga to create a "visual layout" comprising a large image, followed by 3 lines of text, followed by the same large image.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Not Just The Swedes...

Yes, people who work in glass houses and all that.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this a spot the difference...

...trying to work out the difference between the two bloody great images other than one actually has a alt tag to it.

11. IanTP
    FAIL

Stupidity

Nottingham City Council splurged £126,000 to a design company for a re-branding. They came up with a capital N at a slight angle...

Apparently it's been ditched - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1083071/Original-Robin-Hood-logo-reclaimed-council-new-125-000-brand-fails-attract-tourists.html

12. Little Mouse
    Facepalm

Been there, done that

Does no-one remember the awesomeness that was "Cool Brittania"?

13. trenchfoot

Ever more surprises

"It’s audacious to choose such an obvious symbol as the foundation for an identity, but I’m proud we did so..."

Just when you thought "creatives" couldn't get any further up their own arses..

1. Bob Wheeler
      Holmes

Re: Ever more surprises

or even "the flag will be just as relevant 20 years from now as it is today"

I can't be sure, but I do suspect that the Sweedish flag has been around for a good length of time already, and in all probability will carry on untill well after I'm pushing up the daisy's.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: Ever more surprises

Up the daisy's what?

14. Terje

Drastic action needed!

As one of the people footing the bill, I would very much like to state that while it's not my idea and I would never condone such an action, I have full understanding for anyone who would propose to exile anyone involved in this together with the macs used to a hole in the ground without internet connection and fill it up with concrete!

15. GreyWolf

Söderhavet = Ironic

Söderhavet (the Southern Ocean) is clearly thus named because that's where the "creatives" who own the company want to retire to, in order to live on a nice tropical beach while necking Mai Tais. I mean, that's why you take government contracts, innit? Huge pile of wonga, f*ck off before the ink's dry....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like