back to article THANKS OBAMA! Prez predicted iPhone mania back in 2007

Future president Barack Obama was one of the first non-Apple staff to see the iPhone, according to a new political memoir, and predicted it would be a huge smash. According to a new book from former Obama staffer David Axelrod, then-Senator Obama met with the Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and got a special preview of the phone …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can't resist

>keep the president of the US chained to a specially-designed BlackBerry handset.

You seldom see it pictured these days. Even the POTUS doesn't like being seen holding a butt ugly BB handset.

1. Mark 85 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: can't resist

Well sure... makes sense. The ignorant media types would figure there's a world crisis going on and he's on the mobile equivalent of the "red phone". Or the scandal rags would say he's taking to his girl/boy friend (your choice since that's the way scandal rags work). Reality: a message from his wife to pick up a half-gallon of milk on his way back from speaking to Congress....

Either way, it's not very Presidential.

2. Christian Berger

Wasn't that kinda late?

I mean I've tried the iPhone from Vocaltec already in 1996 or so. It already came out in the February of 1995. I still remember it. There was a big fuss about it. Should we use the Internet for Telephony? What will phone companies do about it? By 2007 VoIP, though with more modern systems, was already well established. In fact popular CPEs in Germany already had VoIP built into them... and the iPhone product was already obscure and outdated.

http://www.clicktel.com/en/prod02.htm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021