back to article Yahoo!'s Firefox search hook-up pays off as it nicks Google's US clicks

Yahoo!’s marriage with Mozilla browser Firefox is winning the search engine clicks, according to one net tracker. Marissa Mayer’s firm in January saw its third-place US search ranging grow to 10.9 per cent, according to StatCounter’s global stats. Yahoo! was still third in market-share volume, but it's now in a slightly …

1. Anonymous Coward
  2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Every time I tried to switch back to Google, I got a security warning pop-up; clicking either YES or No had the same result - Yahoo back as the default - NOT HAPPY.

I had to go digging around, and even now I am not 100% certain I have gotten rid of the moronic Yahoo option.

1. Lionel Baden

So they are as bad as google ?

Constantly telling me that Firefox is evil every time i use Gmail

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: So they are as bad as google ?

Or that Chromium is evil when using Yahoo?

2. Bitbeisser

Re: So they are as bad as google ?

Don't see hat here. And not that I would use a web browser to check email in the first place...

2. h4rm0ny

What is the security message and do you get it with any other browser? Different browsers can very occasionally have differences in the certificate chain that cause security warnings on one but not the other. Alternately, if it's something like Third Party cookies or something there's probably a setting. What's the message? It's probably not a conspiracy.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I just have the DuckDuckGo extension installed, problem solved!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dirty tricks

I keep switching it to duckduckgo, and it keeps switching back to Yahoo! every! time! Firefox! updates!

Still, good to see Google cut down to size.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dirty tricks

Obviously a Yahooligan is changing it.

2. John Gamble

Re: dirty tricks

Weird. Duckduckgo is my default, with no complaint from Firefox.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From your picture...

...looks like Mr Fox is having a very pleasant dump...i had one of them this morning....ahhh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: From your picture...

"i had one of them this morning....ahhh."

Picture or it didn't happen......

5. Florida1920
    Thumb Down

Not here

Some site crashed Firefox this morning and I had to "Refresh" the installation, which wiped out several mods. The first thing I did when it restarted was revert to the old search-engine scheme. Then I deleted Yahoo and Bing from the list and made DuckDuck Go my default. 'Tis a pity the unwashed masses will settle for whatever gruel is placed in front of them and called steak.

6. Pez92

Yahoo is the worst search engine

The part that annoys me is that it seems to feel the need to reset my default to Yahoo every time firefox updates. As a privacy advocate, I don't like being tracked by Google, but the plethora of extensions I have installed already take care of that. Plus, if privacy was my main concern, I'd go for DDG or Startpage over Yahoo. The fact of the matter is that Google is just indisputably a better search engine when it comes to getting results. I've tried giving Yahoo a chance numerous times but inevitably after a day or two I search for something that Yahoo just fails to find and I try google and it's right there as result #1. Though it gets its fair share of crap, even Bing seems to do a better job.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Yahoo is the worst search engine

Yahoo uses Bing to provide search results, they should be the same unless MS has flocked a switch to make Yahoo's worse than Bing's.

7. SebastianMauer

Its not good for Google that something like the third most popular browser Firefox changes its default engine and this effects its share price. It shows the dependency Google still is on click ads for all its revenue. Google does try to diversify but without success such as buying Motorola which it gave up pretty quickly, then spending years on Google Glass then getting rid of it. Also Android is popular for Google but mainly in the developing world. Google finds it hard to make money out of Android since advertisers are hardly excited by the developing world. Also people in the third world don't usually pay for apps in the same way Apple users do. Maybe Googles self driving car technology will take off an provide some diversity to its revenue.

8. Cuddles

Is there any reason to care?

I use all three of those search engines at different times, and I honestly can't tell the difference between them. Their results are all just as good and just as fast as each other. Google was huge back when it started because all the other options sucked donkey balls, but the only reason they remain dominant now is people have got in the habit of using them. Same with browsers really; Firefox really shook things up by providing a real alternative to IE, but there's now no real difference between Firefox and Chrome, and as cool as it apparently is to hate IE there's really little to set it apart from the others any more. While the people who make browsers and searches love to shout about how much better their product is, the majority of consumers can just close their eyes and pick and random, and get exactly the same results regardless.

9. Bitbeisser
    Devil

As soon as a Firefox updates messes with the search options, I change it back to Google and remove both Yahoo and Bing from the available options. Done.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why I won't use Yahoo

Just look at what Yahoo's first news link is today "Vivica A. Fox Pushes the Envelope in Nipple-Baring Red Carpet Gown: Wardrobe Malfunction or Fashion Choice?"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like