back to article Silk Road trial latest: Ulbricht's Gmail addy appeared on ad for 'Amazon.com for drugs'

The trial of accused Silk Road ringleader Ross Ulbricht continued despite inclement weather in New York City this week, with prosecutors seeking to rubbish Ulbricht's attorneys' earlier claim that someone else ran the darknet drugs souk. On Monday, Gary Alford, a special agent with the US Internal Revenue Service, gave …

1. Ole Juul

Nothing is as it seems

The internet is not like other places. Dratel is no doubt trying to make the best of that, but the jury may not understand enough to either be confused or see through it. As in most internet related trials, I fear the prosecutors have the advantage here

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Nothing is as it seems

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.

1. Ole Juul

Sorry if that came off a little convoluted. :) Here goes again:

If the jury had a clue about the internet, they may be able to see their way past obfuscation. However, I suspect they don't in fact have a clue, so they will not understand an honest explanation (if that is what ends up being on offer here). In such a case they will likely go with the prosecutors who they will perceive as the voice of authority. The prosecutors will be pushing the idea that everything is as it seems.

1. Richard Jones 1
          WTF?

You may be right, the last jury I saw were unable to accept the principle of genetically developed wings for the Porcine Airways Company. They disputed the evidence that pork pies could ever be made without access to the regular flights of my formations flying pigs.

In fact the head juror suggested the whole idea was a load of porky pies.

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

You still seem very confused. What obfuscation are you talking about, and what honest explanation are you waiting for?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
        Joke

@ Sorry...

I think I know what you might mean... scary.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I'm not sure the internet is special. Surely juries would have equal trouble with any concept that's outside their experience or expertise?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021