back to article YouTube: Nobody needs to get hurt Zoe, just sign the Ts&Cs

Google has revived its "our way or the highway" contracts with independent artists and labels, according to popular cellist Zoe Keating. On her Tumblr blog, Keating recounts a series of demands she says were made this week by YouTube, the ubiquitous video-sharing site bought by Google for $1.65bn. Either Keating signed the new …

1. streaky

"Anyone starting up a new video service?" she asked.

No because you all go to Youtube anyways so it isn't worth our time. QQ, tough shit.

There's no alternatives when all the drivers of all the traffic cling to Google or Facebook or whatever else for dear life. Gotta dance with the one that brung you I'm afraid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's always Vimeo - although YouTube links do seem to be far more prevalent.

MySpace used to have that segment covered for musicians - has its relaunch been successful?

1. Mark 85

If it were wildly successful, you wouldn't have had to ask... It's up and running (last time I checked) and rather quiet.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge

The 1%

It depends who you want to see your stuff. What part of the Youtube audience do you want the attention of? Just anyone? Or appreciatives?

If you want fame from anyone, you need Youtube, and it's automated 'you may like' system and search engine, and huge userbase.

If you want to be appreciated by likeminds/fans/friends, you only need a social network, and a video sharing site that actually works properly (and is financially viable).

Youtube is gargantuan, but not necessarily 'sticky'. If you can click on a link and it works, and you can comment about it and share it with friends, that's all people ever want.

If Youtube want to **** people I appreciate, I'm more than happy to **** Youtube.

3. BillG
      Happy

"Anyone starting up a new video service?" she asked.

Rumor has it Twitter will be starting a video service. They are the only ones that can get away with it because they already have enough users, 280 million and counting.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I can only suggest that she takes her money elsewhere.

3. channel extended

One question?

You Tube? What's that?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasted vote mentality

Pro - active defeatism.

"A vote for anyone other than the two leading parties is a wasted vote!"

The only way for things to change is to change them yourself. 1 person decides not to post on YouTube but goes to Dailymotion or some other content site then Youtube is weaken by that one person, not by much granted but enough to get other content providers and viewers interested in the alternate site.

The only time you waste a vote is when you accept defeat and decide not to vote or vote for something you don't want. Same is true for the likes of YouTube.

YouTube is only big because content providers post on them. They only have to leave and so will the viewers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wasted vote mentality

Remember this, those who live by social media and buzz can also die by social media and buzz.

(apologies to Mario Puzo)

Keating can not only blog up a fuss, she can also start her own FB page, post to Vimeo, Dailymotion or whatever content provider du jour and then actively work to bring her 2 million viewers with her. I'm sure the platform providers would be delighted and very helpful.

The concept of vendor lock in (or distributor lock in, in this case) nearly always becomes a bad deal for one of the parties. It's like signing up for a 2 year mobile contract, although you get the shiny phone cheap you will also pay over the top for your call minutes for the next two years,

These practices may simply fall by the wayside as yet another failed business model if enough people refuse to sign up for them. As Dewix said voting with your feet can change things. Sitting back and taking it will just consolidate the problem and let it fester further. If she leaves, other indies might leave too.

5. TheQueenofFrance

Hilarious.

Gee, it's horrible, a company is requiring you to agree to its terms to use its service.

6. Sir_Hops_A_Lot

Very early on, it was obvious Google was going to be a crappy company. But, I never thought it would get this big or this terrible.

They're the biggest bunch of jerks in IT.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like