back to article Shipping News: Docker 1.5rc1 arrives in port … NOW!

Docker 1.5rc1 is upon us and should be ready to slide down the slipway in the first week of February. Announced in a newsgroup – as is proper – the new version is billed by developer Arnaud Porterie as containing “many major features”. Among those additions are IPv6 support for the Docker daemon, memory use limits for …

1. cs94njw

Stupid question.... what's Docker?

1. Alan_Peery

Here's a good start...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/28/docker_part_1_the_history_of_docker/

2. thames

Long story short - a container management system. Containers are sort of like VMs, but they're lighter weight, take up fewer resources, can start up and shut down faster, and you can pack more of them into a server than you can VMs. They're part of the OS, so you can't use the to run completely different operating systems, you still need traditional VMs for that. A lot of the low cost shared web-hosting industry has been using Linux containers for years.

Docker is getting a lot of support across the industry for their container management and packaging systems. El Reg has done a pretty good series of articles explaining Docker. If you have anything to do with servers, learn it, because you're going to need to know it in future.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Chris Hills

A newsgroup, really? Please let me know the address of the google groups nntp server so I can read it with my usenet client!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like