back to article For pervasive 5G and IoT, prepare for wind turbines on cells

As growing user populations and hunger for mobile capacity drive ever-smaller cell sizes (even before the advent of 5G), electricity becomes a problem. A group of researchers from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology reckon renewables will be the only way to power the small cell networks of the future. In this …

1. Kye Macdonald

Where are they putting these towers?

Because where I would want to use them tends to be an urban area with things like houses, & street lights everywhere. Which means mains power is there. I would have thought a 50m cable run for power would be cheaper and more reliable then a wind turbine....

And, correct me if I am wrong but don't these towers normally have a cable into them to carry the data?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where are they putting these towers?

Yes I was wondering that too. 5G requires fiber to carry the data volumes it supports, so if you have to pull fiber to the tower you can pull power at the same time.

This seems like people looking for a reason to push renewables more than anything else.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why does it require fibre?

They'll just use microwaves like they normally do.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can you get multi gigabit links using microwaves? IIRC microwave links require more power than cellular base stations, so they'll still need power pulled out there either way!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes

2. Dr Paul Taylor

Africa, maybe? Sounds like the Next Big Thing after the Wind-Up Radio.

2. petur

wind+solar

The combination isn't working for the normal grid (too many days with not enough sun and wind, not even mentioning the nights), why would it work for this? Now if they had mentioned a big battery that can span several days...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wind+solar

"Now if they had mentioned a big battery that can span several days..."

OK, so you've strapped on a battery, charging electronics, you've got both wind and solar collectors, and you've oversized these both to fast charge the battery when the power's there, and because you''ll lose 25% of power in the charging/discharge cycles. Not looking either simple, cheap or efficient. Heath Robinson would be proud.

The long life of PV panels is correct (although in dusty locations dirt builds up on the panels, requiring regular cleaning), the durability of unattended wind turbines is more questionable, and the life of the battery depends on the extent of cycling. Since I assume it would be running on battery overnight you could be talking about a three year battery life.

I'd also wonder about the volume of resources used in making such a low power base station. Probably less efficient end to end than a grid connection.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK has a few wind powered road signs

The UK has had a few wind powered road signs for a few years now. Their power requirements probably started around the same magnitude as a small scale cell base station.

The wind turbines on the ones I go past don't appear to have worked for most of that time. That's anecdote rather than evidence, but if anyone knows of any evidence it'd be nice to see it.

This is for sites out in rural areas.

As already noted, a different set of challenges applies in built up areas.

Has someone perhaps got something to sell ?

1. handle

Re: UK has a few wind powered road signs

UK has plenty of solar-powered road signs too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Be still my ...

Because nothing says reliability and low maintenance convenience at scale than an IoT-backhaul worth of MOVING PARTS!

5. David Pollard

The environmental cost?

There's a fairly clear argument favour of smaller grid-powered base stations both in reduced energy costs and overall improved reliability. However Yuyi Mao and co. appear to have entirely overlooked the aspects of capital, environmental and service costs of their rather extravagant hardware proposal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: The environmental cost?

And the odd case of stealing such an attractive piece of electronics. I can see it in a mesh arrangement but the environmental factors, including the people part, as such are prohibitive In Real Life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like