back to article US govt opens door to Google The Cellphone Network

The US government has cleared the way for Google to become your next cellphone network provider – possibly without costing the company a pretty penny. As we revealed yesterday, the advertising giant wants to use the largely open spectrum at 3.5GHz to provide high-speed mobile data connections at low cost to phones and gadgets …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google wouldn't be paying for the 3.5 GHz band

They are talking about sharing, not owning. So Google could use it, but so could AT&T, Verizon and other carriers. Heck, Samsung or Apple could have their phones use it independent of the carriers, though I doubt either has any desire to act as a carrier.

It all depends on who is willing to put up the hundreds of thousands of towers that would be required to make it work on a nationwide or even large regional basis. Who is more likely to make that investment, someone like Google who have zero towers and zero experience in this market, or carriers like AT&T and Verizon who already have the most expensive part of the investment, towers and fiber links to them, and just need to make a comparatively tiny investment in an additional antenna to send/receive at 3.5 GHz?

This "Google makes an end-run around the carriers" meme seems to be someone's wishful thinking wet dream. Someone who hasn't taken the 10 seconds required to think about the scale of investments Google would need to make versus the investment the carriers would need to make.

If Google does this, it is FAR MORE LIKELY it will be for fixed wireless internet, not mobile, and they'll do it on a small scale in a handful markets, like Google Fiber. It'll garner a lot of press but change the lives of only a fraction of 1% of people. Phones will not be able to send/receive on 3.5 GHz because Qualcomm won't add this frequency to their chipsets because it'll have so little use. Unless the carriers decide to use it, that is.

Google would offer a little antenna you can put on your house to can get wireless internet, instead of running fiber. It'll just be another way of getting internet, available to maybe 1% of the population someday. Yawn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google wouldn't be paying for the 3.5 GHz band

I happen to agree on the actual interest of the parties involved but I disagree that it will take only a minimal investment by the current wireless providers. The range is less and you see far less penetration of intermediate terrain and structures. Therefore you are going to see a requirement for far more towers and their backhaul connections. Theoretically you could try mesh but I've yet to see anything that scales well. I am prepared to be surprised though.

2. Jyve

Google's been prepping for this for a LONG time.

Need many cell towers? And the insane amount of backhaul to service it? Hmm, if only they had their own fiber networks in some places. Aha! They DO!

So in all the places they're offering fiber, you can go to Google to get your home internet, cell phone coverage (the actual phones/OS themselves), movies/music/email/document storage/video calling/home security/laptops/desktops. The only things they're missing out at this point I can see are Google Power, Google Sewage and Google Snack Burritos to drive all this. Scary

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If Google had been prepping for this for a long time they wouldn't have wasted all that effort investigating that balloon/blimp scheme.

They do have their own fiber in "some places" but if those are the only ones where they have this 3.5 GHz network, phones won't be able to receive it. It takes years to get planning permission to put up new towers in many locales, and you bet that the incumbents won't rent Google space on their towers when they're trying to undercut them.

2. Charles 9

I'm more curious about the spectrum auctions in the 1.7GHz range. AFAICT, the natures of these bands seem to preclude opening up LTE Band III, the most-internationally-consistent band, because the first auction is just below the range while the second is within, and nothing is mentioned of the 1.8GHz band needed for the other part of the FDD pair. Does this seem consistent with you?

3. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Yeah sure...

"...by the end of next year Google may offer you an unlimited data plan on your cellphone..."

End of 2016. So, 24 months to stand up an entire network? From scratch?

Yeah, sure. Maybe they'll just 3D Print the entire cell sites and have them delivered by a hovering Musk rocket.

Or the word "may" will be true only for the first one or two towns that they'd have done by then?

Crazy.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like