back to article Sphere 3D: Our pop-out 2TB disk product? Of COURSE it's rugged

Forget Overland Storage – that company has merged with Sphere 3D, which added its software virtualisation technologies, like Glassware, to the Overland line of SnapServer, SnapScale, SnapSAN, NEO and RDX disk array, tape library and removable disk products. And now it has got itself an RDX QuikStor removable disk product –r …

1. FartingHippo
    FAIL

Very disappointed

None of those products are ball-like, or even round. Sphere 3D my arse (which is actually more true - curse you, Christmas!).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Very disappointed

Indeed, I was looking forward to having a ball with these…

2. Suricou Raven

Re: Very disappointed

Any spherical data storage device must be named 'mollysphere,' just so that a very small number of people may be smug when they get the reference.

2. end_user

Proof I'm Old

In 1995 the IOMEGA Jaz 2GB external drive was born. Now 20 years it has grown to 2TB and changed it name.

1. LaeMing
      Coat

Re: Proof I'm Old

If your parents named you 'Jazz', you'd probably change it when you grew up too.

2. DNTP

I welcome this opportunity to relive my IT media processing experiences of the 90s by shoving big slabs of electronics encased in thick plastic into slightly larger slabs of electronics encased in thick plastic. Hopefully they will release the second edition of this product soon, which will replace the opaque gray casing with a vaguely translucent graphite or blue case, with appropriate LEDs. Then there will be the internal mount version, where the connector is placed at an angle inside your case accessible only to Hounds of Tinados, or possibly trigger your OS to write system files to the removable disk causing your computer to hang when the drive is removed.

Seriously though, if they've put any thought at all into this thing it has to turn out better than the multitude of high capacity diskslab systems of bygone eras.

3. Steve Knox
      Windows

You're not old enough to remember SyQuest? Baby.

1. Down not across Silver badge

I've long lost the stack of SQ400s I had.

I did stumble across a box of CompacTape cartridges however.

4. Oninoshiko

Jazz drives are the first think I though of too.

God, 2G seemed like so much then.

3. Suricou Raven

I took one of those RDXs apart once. It's just a plain old hard drive in a protective box. They certainly charge a lot of that box.

1. Gareth Jones

Yes Suricou Raven. Not only that, but should the disk fail and you're tempted to buy a much cheaper 2½" disk to replace the internals, you'll find that they've nobbled the system to only accept their own overpriced disks.

4. Douchus McBagg
    Happy

darn it, I thought I was going to one up you with "Bernoulli drive" but a quick google shows SyQuest had a product to market in 1982, a year earlier than iomega's drive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021