back to article BONK for CASH in Brixton and help us EAT the RICH

The Brixton Pound (B£), the private currency for denizens of the slightly more affordable bit of earth next to Clapham, is to adopt near field communications, or NFC, payments. The area – which has become so painfully fashionable the locals are fighting back against poshos buying all the houses – has had its own currency for …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Wait a minute

So this whole thing is to keep local money local, yet they're using a Norwegian company and French hardware to do it ?

My irony meter is approaching the red zone.

By the way, "you must use the Brixton Pound in Brixton" - I take that to mean that you cannot use Her Majesty's currency. Isn't that illegal ? I'm sure they can use the Brixton Pound alongside the national currency, but if they are actively refusing the national currency, how is it they aren't in jail yet ?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Wait a minute

The subtleties of the English language make the slogan readable in 2 different ways:

-you must use the Brixton Pound, and only that, when in Brixton (illegal shirley)

-you must use the Brixton Pound in Brixton and nowhere else (obviously, as anywhere else it would only get you bemusedly puzzled looks at best)

I think legally it's supposed to be read in the second way, while being phrased to be understood the 1st way by most of the population.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Pint

That must clearly be the right way of viewing the whole affair.

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Have a beer on me !

2. Ogi

Another alt-currency?

What, did Bitcoin become too mainstream for them?

If you are going to go the route of currencies that are not state backed, why go with one that is run by a single company, and who can control how much currency is in circulation by twiddling some numbers?

Even if they wanted to limit the area to just Brixton, you could tag Bitcoins and only accept coins with the tag, or start their own block chain and create an alt-currency.

This setup just seems real fishy to me.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Another alt-currency?

It's not really a currency, more like some kind of voucher system AFAICT. Slightly-enhanced gift cards, really. Local business association need to set up new alt currencies like they need a hole in the head.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's not really a currency, more like some kind of voucher system AFAICT"

What, like one of those £5 beer vouchers that have Her Maj on one side, and Liz Fry on the other?

Even when coins contained real gold and silver, they were for most people just metallic vouchers because it was only the nobility who had any functional use for the precious metals.

That's all money is - a medium of exchange, or a voucher. Time was when economists insisted that it was also a "store of value", but with negative real interest rates and (intentionally under-reported) inflation that's not been the case for quite a few years now.

1. DaveDaveDave

"Time was when economists insisted that it was also a "store of value", but with negative real interest rates and (intentionally under-reported) inflation that's not been the case for quite a few years now."

Er, no, _economists_ have always insisted that being a store of value made something a bad currency.

3. Kubla Cant Silver badge

Have no truck with this

There's a set of laws called the Truck Acts, introduced between 1725 and 1940, that outlawed the practice where employers would pay wages in tokens that could only be spent in their own (overpriced) shops. It's not directly comparable, but if I lived in Brixton and somebody tried to pass some B£ on me, I'd feel like I was being enrolled on some kind of truck system.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Joke

Re: Have no truck with this

"There's a set of laws called the Truck Acts, introduced between 1725 and 1940".

I've heard of all-night sittings, but 215 years!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Have no truck with this

Actually it's probably a simple tax dodge. If a shop doesn't charge legal tender, then the transaction is the agreed value of the barter for the purposes of VAT, etc... I'll bet somewhere on these coupons there's a line "15 Brixton Pounds == monitory value 0.0001p)

4. Yugguy

Pound?

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahnd, surely?

1. DaveDaveDave

Re: Pound?

Poned, Tarquin. Brexton's changing.

5. tony2heads

local currency

its a local currency for local people

Is Brixton next to Royston Vasey?

6. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Devil

I deal with it the same way...

I deal with my Scottish notes when in Englandshire - I offer to pay with legal tender, and you refuse to accept it the item is free

You are the one who doesn't want my money...

1. dogged

Re: I deal with it the same way...

No you don't because the shopkeeper can simply refuse to trade with you, quite legally.

He can't refuse your noddy money but he CAN just kick you out for any reason at all, or none, which amounts to the same.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: I deal with it the same way...

"Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland."

See:

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

7. keithpeter Silver badge
    Linux

blag

Brixton even had its own GNU/Linux distribution for a few years.

Brixton Linux Action Group (blag) sort of clings on in the form of a hardware recycling social enterprise. Blag Linux itself is under development again but with new developers from a wide range of countries.

8. strum

You guys do realise that these local currencies have been around for decades - the Totnes Pound, the Lewes Pound, the Bath Oliver and many more?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022