back to article MARSQUAKES shook up range of hills in ancient lake bed

NASA and the US Geological Survey (USGS) reckon they've found evidence of ancient earthquakes on Mars. Or should that be Marsquakes? The evidence was spotted in the west Candor Chasma, one of the canyons in the Valles Marineris canyon system. The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE …

1. Tom 7 Silver badge

Marsquakes - how about a more planetarily generic chocolate quakes?

But on a more serious note - while it is not inconceivable that these are wet lahars it has to be said that dry lahars are much more easily triggered and flow much more freely and further than wet ones. We dont generally see them on earth - cos its wet - but without surface tension to try and trap particles together and conduct static away dry lahars are a much more fluid beast altogether.

2. choleric

Injectite megapipes

Thank you Simon. That's now my phrase of the week. How many times in different contexts can I use those words.

And on another note, it's good to know that ancient Martians had sufficiently rapid injectite megapipe broadband for streaming Netflix. Oh look, I did it already!

3. jjk
    Headmaster

Xenogeologists?

Areologists, certainly?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My kunt has just exploded from there being just way too much science in this article way too early in the morning.

1. Martin Budden Bronze badge

If only you'd instead said Kant and made reference to structural features...

5. tskears

quake or Quake...?

I believe the term "earthquake" is applicable assuming Mars has "earth" (aka dirt or soil). Use of the term "Earthquake" would not be acceptable.

And on that note: Should "Marsquake" be "marsquake"?

6. Fizzle
    Alien

Soggy Bottomz

Well certainly after a good belching from the insides, there will be a sedimentary wet bottom, and it's understandable that bits will be clinging on. Hence of course, the extra strong winds of Mars will help whistle through the vitals and cleanse said debris away.

Now that ain't rocket science either, or is that eether? Whatever, sigh..I'll leave quietly now before anyone comments.

1. Martin Budden Bronze badge
      Pint

Re: Soggy Bottomz

^ that post contains much of this >

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020