back to article Canadian watchdog goes to court to probe Apple's iPhone deals with mobe networks

Watchdogs in Canada are investigating Apple over concerns the iPhone giant violated antitrust laws in its dealings with Canadian telcos. A spokesperson for Canada's Competition Bureau confirmed the Cupertino goliath is the subject of a probe into possible violations of the nation's Competition Act. "I can confirm that the …

1. Mad Chaz
    Childcatcher

Conservative gov

I, as a proud Canadian, have full faith that justice will be rendered on by our wonderfull federal gov ... oh, this is the same gov that tried to make it illegal for fixed line ISPs to offer unlimited data usage to try and kill the small re-seller market? Right ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When in Canada do as the croneys do

Apple is just following the (unwritten) law of the land, do deals with insiders and insiders will do deals with you, and the consumer is stuck with $100 a month contract forever, sounds right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll bite

Why now rather than when the deals were made?

1. John Bailey

Re: I'll bite

"Why now rather than when the deals were made?"

Probably because companies do not have to register the terms of all deals with a central authority in advance, and such deals are not made public.

So how would they have known if anything was wrong when the deals were made?

These things usually happen in answer to a complaint by an interested party.

Could be a different manufacturer annoyed by the special deals Apple are getting.

Could be a phone company annoyed that the competition is getting a special deal with Apple.

Could be that a phone company is trying to renegotiate their special deal with Apple.

Could be a phone company trying to get out of their special deal with Apple.

An impartial organisation is looking at a deal made between two companies, and despite the cries of victimisation and free market interference that will no doubt be howled by the faithful.. If the contracts are legit, and follow the already made and freely available rules.. No problem.

If they are iContracts.. Problem.

2. anody

Re: I'll bite

Run-up to the elections next year. Starting with relatively small stuff that sounds good, but won't be a big deal if nothing comes out of it.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Apple.

Canadian telcos.

There are no good guys here.

5. Fihart

Nothing to do with Blackberry ?

Of course not.

6. JaitcH
    Unhappy

The Harper Tory Government is always open ...

to offers.

Being small minded they might be impressed with iThingies all around the cabinet table.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like