back to article Google App Engine has THIRTY flaws, says researcher

Adam Gowdiak of Polish security consultancy and research outfit Security Explorations claims to have found myriad security holes in Google's App Engine. Explained here, Gowdiak says he and his colleagues “discovered multiple security issues in Google App Engine that allow for a complete Java VM security sandbox escape.” Here' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft?

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

1. Neil Alexander

Re: Surprise!

Am I missing something?

1. FIA Silver badge

There's a related MS story in the sidebar and the postbot got confused?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It gets posted on every story relating to security of non-Microsoft products. Presumably to counteract the fact that it was originally posted on Microsoft stories.

I guess it is to remind the person who originally posted it on the Microsoft story that every platform has security issues. I am not the OP so I am only summising but it is his (or another's, it's hard to say with ACs) meme.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Windows

I guess it is to remind the person who originally posted it on the Microsoft story that every platform has security issues.

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease

Not in court...

3. VinceH
        Joke

"Am I missing something?"

If the OP wasn't posting as an AC, I suspect he or she may have opted to use this icon. -->

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re:It gets posted on every story relating to security of non-Microsoft products.

And Microsoft stories. Last time on an MS article it got 10 up votes and 3 down. Still some educating to do I guess.....

2. spider68

Do these flaws apply to all GAE; or just to Java GAE instances

Interesting article.

My question would be, do these flaws apply to all GAE; or just to Java GAE instances?

And can a directed attack on my Python or PHP based GAE instances be carried out by these means.

Any ideas?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Do these flaws apply to all GAE; or just to Java GAE instances

Most likely no unless Python and PHP are really recompiled to Java then run on the Google-specific virtual machine. But then again, there shure will be other problems and integrity violations. A person knowledgeable in Googgggle AppEngine needs to provide info.

(Also: No AppEngine for Erlang? DISCRIMINATORY!)

1. MacroRodent

I also wonder if they escaped the Java sandbox only to be confined in a private Linux virtual machine instance. Or does Google run multiple Java sandboxes in one (real or virtual ) host? The latter case would make the exploit very bad news.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

More likely a container than a VM, based on their '2 bn containers a week' stats.

2. teknopaul

I don't think python has a sandbox. Java's sandbox exists for browsers but I guess AppEngine borrows it to define some dos and donts for use of the service. I'd presume there are other dos and donts that are just written into the license agreements rather than restricted with code.

Really this story says security researcher did a bunch of things on an instance he was not meant to do, got no where, got spotted, got locked out.

Hardly a security fail.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: got no where

According to the article:

we bypassed GAE whitelisting of JRE classes / achieved complete Java VM security sandbox escape (17 full sandbox bypass PoC codes exploiting 22 issues in total);

we achieved native code execution (ability to issue arbitrary library / system calls);

Sounds like a security fail.

3. Billa Bong
    Coat

Found a burgler in my house...

I asked him wtf he was doing, he responded:

Taking into account the educational nature of the security issues found in your home, and what seems to be an appreciation you have for arbitrary security research, we hope you will make it possible for us to complete our work.

4. DerekCurrie
    Facepalm

It's Oracle Java: Of course it's going to be riddled with security holes!

Oracle utterly destroyed Java sandboxing years ago. Java is now the single most dangerous software to run over the Internet, no matter what platform. Just don't use Internet Java and end the madness.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: It's Oracle Java: Of course it's going to be riddled with security holes!

Ah, of course! I knew Google couldn't be responsible for this!

2. wikkity

Re: It's Oracle Java: Of course it's going to be riddled with security holes!

This is running on a server.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

google

Do not give a stuff about security. They are only interested in selling your private information to third parties. So why is anyone surprised by this article?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: google

Who said anyone was surprised? Are we supposed to ignore security holes because "Google is bad"?

AC in pointless post about article they view as pointless time waste shocker!

6. sisk

So if I'm reading this right he was doing security research on a live system without first notifying and getting permission from the host. Poor manners that. No wonder his account got shut down. Even worse he apparently has yet to speak to Google about this as he says the research "probably" looked like an attack, an indication that he's guessing, yet he's told world+dog. This is not the behavior of a reputable security researcher.

As for the holes themselves...I'm really not surprised. "Big system has security holes" is kinda a dog bites man type of story. 30 isn't even that many. Microsoft has been known to cover that many in a single (big, granted) patch Tuesday (and no, that's not a slam on MS). Tell Google and they'll either fix them or, if they're a core Java problem, work with Oracle to get them fixed.

7. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Russel Taylor and Guild Harbour

I am working for an agency that is locked into them. I knew I was going to hate them when they told me I have to give them permission to pass on my details to whoever asked for them.

Then last Friday I couldn't even get a copy of a time sheet unless I bowed to Google.

WTF!!!

Arseholes!

8. tsal

Could be interesting, but...

This article could be interesting, but it doesn't explain:

1/ what evidence there is for the escape taking place? - at the very least, why should we take this security outfit seriously; do they have 'previous' in finding flaws?

2/ what are the implications of these flaws? - the details provided (if true) don't sound good, but if escaping the sandbox leaves you in a vacuum of space then it probably doesn't amount to much.

What we are told is that when they tried to do things they shouldn't, their account was shut down - which seems reasonable.

Evidence and implication information would be gratefully received.

1. elip
      WTF?

Re: Could be interesting, but...

...are you (and the other AC and non-AC posters above) serious?

This is one of the original members of the LSD team... so, yeah, almost 20 years in the game now obliterating the security of all core internet software. Only Windows, Irix, HP-UX, Solaris, *BSD, Java, AIX, Linux kernel and various userland tools are much much safer to use because of these guys. You are fucking welcome.

People claiming this is a non-story from a security standpoint, are either willfully ignorant, or still hung over from the weekend.

1. tsal
        Thumb Up

Re: Could be interesting, but...

"Evidence and implication information would be gratefully received."

Thanks for delivering on the first point.

Now if someone could state what this situation means in practice then great... the article will have been of use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like