back to article Dutch lawyers seek to overturn data retention

The Netherlands is the latest EU country to see pushback against excessive state surveillance of the Internet, with that country's criminal lawyers' association leading a court action against the state over its data retention laws. The association (the NVSA) has joined forces with the Dutch Association of Journalists, Privacy …

1. gerdesj Silver badge

Opposing requirements

There is the requirement for privacy vs the requirement for properly sanctioned evidence gathering by various agencies.

Has anyone actually measured things like say the age of data of this form used in criminal court proceedings or pulling in them thar terrorists?

It's all very well bleating on about either privacy concerns on the one hand or security on the other but there seems to a paucity of data that might inform an electorate, let alone us lot.

Mind you, when has a lack of useful information held us commentards back let alone our beloved journos ....

Cheers

Jon

1. Scoular

Evidence based government might be a good start

Governments and their agencies are claiming that total surveillance is necessary in the public interest, to protect against terrorists. However there is a lack of hard evidence to support the case that ever greater spying on the public will actually produce the results they claim to want.

Where I live we are hundreds, if not thousands, of times more likely to me killed by our police than by 'terrorists'.

If they could make a logical case citing real court admissible evidence of their successes the public might be more receptive but the case seems to be largely based on the opinions of those with a personal interest in a high level of surveillance and maintaining vast databases on everyone..

1. Ole Juul

Re: Evidence based government might be a good start

Where I live we are hundreds, if not thousands, of times more likely to be killed by our police than by 'terrorists'.

And you still call them "our" police? Time to change the vocabulary, me thinks.

2. Christian Berger

If there was any evidence...

...politicians would bring forward that evidence instead of constantly talking about "abstract threads" or abusing children for their political goals.

2. fishman

Odds of dying

The chance that I will die in an auto accident is probably 2 to 3 orders of magnitudes greater than from dying in a terrorist attack that might not be stopped due to restrictions that should be placed on the various government agencies.

1. Richard Jones 1
      WTF?

Re: Odds of dying

The odds of dying in an accident at home are far higher than the odds of dying in a road accident in many countries but that has not stopped people living in their homes. The last time I checked was some time ago but the Health and Safety moron was not best pleased when I pointed out that more people had recently died at home in the kitchen then had in road accidents. (The meeting went off badly as many of the chairs set out for us to sit on were split and tended to cut the trousers or other parts of anyone who used them, so much for health and safety!)

Sadly no one has a statutory responsibility for making sure that no one stands on a chair to reach the top shelf in the kitchen. Law and order are in a different category with someone lambasted if things go wrong and people die at the hands of some psychopath. It becomes worse if law and order 'should have known' that the nut job(s) i.e. psychopaths for the devil in whatever form, should have been stopped but were still wandering the streets.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

The problem

is that it's not really the police that want to retain this data. It's the dutch tax authorities that drive this data retention. My problem with these laws is not that my privacy is broken to find criminals. It's that its being broken to prove I'M a criminal. (Even when I'm not and there is no evidence I am)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'GO!!!!, YOU DYKE-PLUGGERS'.

A lot of Dutch lawers have just become 'People Of Interest'.....hope none of them have any 'Digital Skeletons' in their 'Virtual Wardrobes'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like