back to article FOUR, count 'em, FOUR big rockets launching in next seven days

Spaceports are increasingly common these days but, if the coming week is anything to go by, then some sort of rocketry air traffic control could be something the boffins need to sort out. In all, four launches are planned for the coming week, from four different countries. This rate of activity is a reflection of quite how …

1. PassiveSmoking
    Flame

Can we arrange them to all launch at the same time? From the same launch site? That would be awesome!

1. AbelSoul
      Mushroom

Re: all launch at the same time?

Or even staggered at three second intervals, like a rockety-air-force-display-team-cum-fireworks-display.

2. Kristaps
    Mushroom

Hayabusa bombing the asteroid

Pardon my ignorance here, but would that not be quite dangerous to the probe? How big a crater will it make? I can see how the probe can be behind the asteroid to avoid getting hit by debris right after the explosion, but surely there will be lots of stuff floating about once it returns to the crater. Or am I being overly dramatic and the explosion will be a tiny pop?

That icon was closest to how I imagine the "mining" will look from distance. Maybe I should stop reading sci-fi.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Hayabusa bombing the asteroid

Don't worry, El Reg got the details wrong. The probe won't be landing, but staying at a safe distance. It will launch its nuke small charge - then drop mobile infantry, who'll go down to kill all the bugs take samples, then (any survivors) return to the craft, and come back to earth. There's absolutely nothing to worry about.

2. Annihilator
      Boffin

Re: Hayabusa bombing the asteroid

It's going to be there for about a year - it'll be in orbit around the asteroid, not hovering behind it.

It won't be an explosion though - it's a collision from its first probe, so will be pretty small. Besides, all the crap will still land on the asteroid, it'll just take a few hours to do so in the low gravity (see Philae's 7 hour bounce)

3. ISYS
    Happy

Talking of rocket launches

Does anyone remember the LOHAN project that was going to launch last year / the spring /this Autumn?

1. Steve Foster
      Joke

Re: Talking of rocket launches

I believe that is en-route to the colonies by packet steamer.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Talking of rocket launches

I hope they keep a proper iceberg watch whilst en route.

4. James Hughes 1

SpaceX are launching a Falcon 9 on 16th Dec as well - this one is supposed to land the first stage back on a barge.

By far the more interesting of the ones you have quoted.

Full launch list here...http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

That's a very busy list!

5. Craig Chambers
    Mushroom

Orion "module"

Aww! When I saw Orion I was picturing something like this: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=project+orion&tbm=isch

6. phuzz Silver badge
    Flame

Times

Hey, el Reg, it would be really handy if you published the times for launches, as well as the day, so we know whether there's a chance of watching it or not.

If the times were in UTC that would be great, thanks.

7. Fatman

Chinese sat launch

The launch crew will be crossing fingers and toes that this launch goes to plan. Its predecessor, CBERS 3, failed to reach its assigned altitude and crashed back to Earth just over a year ago and a second failure will see Chinese rocketry experts lose some serious face lined up against the wall.

FTFY!!!

(Because failure is not an option this time!)

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Joke

Re: Chinese sat launch

No, not lined up against the wall. I am sure the more prosaic approach of a mission designed and crewed by these same engineers will provide sufficient motivation for the third time to be the charm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like