back to article Data-center upstart grabs Wozniak, jumps into virtual storage fight

A fresh startup called Primary Data reckons it will reinvent "file virtualization" for software-defined data centers – and thus take on EMC's ViPR and Quantum's StorNext. Primary Data, cofounded by David Flynn, made the boast as Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak announced he has left Fusion-io to join Flynn at Primary Data as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Steve Wozniak, figurehead-for-hire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Did some okay things originally, but not really worthy of so much praise. Chuck Peddle debugged his Apple 1 and got it going.

The Apple II was so noisy in terms of RF interference that it wasn't allowed to ship with a TV out port installed.

2. Yaron Haviv

File virtualization, definitely the right approach

File and object virtualization is definitely the right approach, and the only way in the new age to bridge and share between data in different places (local, cloud, ..), most of the SDS players are still in the block virtualization era, and that needs to go away, i have a post in my blog covering those exact points in details see http://sdsblog.com/2014/11/18/why-the-heck-do-we-need-san

but moving a bit from the hype and all that, not sure how Pd manage to address all this nice vision with an architecture based on pNFS, and central Metadata server, anyone in the business should know that file lookups and metadata operations can take up to 30% of IOs, and its not the most scalable approach to handle it with couple of servers, and with pNFS and NFS as your key interface how do you address performance or POSIX compliance or client interop, which are needed for a bunch of apps

i assume David and friends will figure it out eventually, but still have ways to go

Yaron

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020