back to article GiffGaff spanked for clumsy attempt at mum-and-dad-humping humour

GiffGaff has been admonished by the UK's advertising watchdog, after a publicity stunt backfired for being too fruity. The mobile network posted a video on Twitter that read: "The situations in our new videos are, well, awkward." The tweet also carried the NSFW (not safe for work) hashtag. The Advertising Standards Authority …

1. Justin Case

Admageddon!

When I tried to watch the ad on the article page I had to watch another ad before I could see the ad I wanted to see.

Unless someone acts quickly this could rapidly spiral out of control.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Admageddon!

Adblocker is the cure

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Welcome to the Internet of Ads...

By the way, the word "Ad" means "Hell" in Russian.

2. J. R. Hartley

Adception

3. Michael Strorm

Old meme is old...

@Justin Case; "When I tried to watch the ad on the article page I had to watch another ad before I could see the ad I wanted to see."

You can blame Xzibit for that- after "Pimp My Ride" was cancelled, he took a job in the online advertising industry to make ends meet.

2. Peshman

...and back on topic

What's the problem? Parents have intimate relations. A grown man living with his parents might accidentally come across a situation where his parents behave as they do if he wasn't there. He doesn't look unemployed so I'm guessing he's either saving for a deposit or too cheap to pay rent to live somewhere else. Shit happens!

I thought it was quite funny. However, I haven't lived with my parents since I could first afford a mortgage many. many, moons ago.

BTW, What humping? Looked like a bit of shaving to me.

1. gotes

Re: ...and back on topic

I think the video embedded in the article is not the "having sex" one the ASA refers to. The "shaving" one apparently wasn't banned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ...and back on topic

What is the point of that then?

I demand a link to the original, probably now viral somewhere on the interwebs anyway. No. I'm not googling it at work.

3. frank ly

"... the blank screen section."

I first read that as "... the blank screen erection." then tried to visualise it. A wasted two seconds.

Note: They were not "having sex". It was assisted personal grooming. It makes you wonder about the people at the ASA.

4. IT Hack

Won't

somebody just think of the children?!

Fucks sake.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't

If that was a child, then Christ!

That is one child with a face that's had a life...

1. IT Hack

Dammit...whats the saying? Everyone is a child of someone?

I think I just sicked in my mouth.

2. Bloakey1

Yep. Little bastards should leave home at 16 and then mum and dad could really get on down and be funky.

When I used to tell my children that I started work at 14 (part time) they think it is tantamount to child abuse. I also have one whose university have told her she is not allowed to work and can get sent down if she does.

Grrrrrrr.

1. IT Hack

@Bloakey1

Salt mines. Its the only answer.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's Diego Costa at 7 years old.

5. vmistery

Funniest thing for me was I had to watch an advert - to see the advert - marketing people well done, you indeed won here.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

German Environment Ministry made a similar vid

I wonder who copied whom?

Possibly NSFW http://youtu.be/CeDIERGF5Zg

Tag line: turn the lights off, there are some things that should not be seen.

Supposedly to get "da yoof" interested in saving energy.

7. Hellcat

To bastardise GiffGaff's tagline...

On the internet, the ASA isn't the boss.

Last time I looked the ASA had no remit to control internet advertising - the article wasn't clear - was it only internet based adverts or were they broadcast on TV?

8. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Go

Made me laugh.

More like this please.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: before anyone moans about free speech

So this is just political correctness by a nanny state gone mad then.

2. Looper

Re: before anyone moans about free speech

"Free speech is about the exchange of ideas".

Maybe it is, but freedom of speech has nothing to do with that.

10. VinceH

"Another cringeworthy example, which hasn't been banned, can be seen below. The main problem, in The Register's networks desk's view, has nothing to do with the sexual content. Instead, it's simply not funny."

Well, I chuckled.

Humour, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

11. Yugguy

Not funny

That's often the real issue with these things produced by coke-raddled London advertising execs.

They're simply not funny.

12. earl grey
    Flame

don't like it? don't look

simples

1. Looper

Re: don't like it? don't look - TELL THAT TO A 7 YEAR OLD CHILD

If you actually read the ASA statement, they banned the not-visible ad since it was untargeted, which means children could easily see it.

There's always idiots who forget that young children exist.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020