back to article Trolls pop malformed heads above bridge to sling abuse at Tim Cook

Apple boss Tim Cook has been bombarded with homophobic abuse after revealing his sexuality to the world on Thursday. Cook spoke out yesterday to say he considered "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me". Trolls, religious nuts and plain old homophobes from the four corners of the internet immediately took to …

1. Marcus Aurelius
    Unhappy

I refer you all

To the comment I made earlier:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2343589

Except instead of being silenced they immediately turned into trolls

1. Lionel Baden

Re: I refer you all

worth an upvote on both comments

2. Psyx
      Boffin

Hey, El Reg; Was the Islamic one so good that you had to print it twice?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: muslim tweet

perhaps they felt that just four tweets didn't really live up to the "bombarded" adjective and hoped no one would notice the 5th was a duplicate

3. John Sanders
      Paris Hilton

And what I would like to ask Tim Cook after he said that is this:

Yes Tim, we have known that for a long time, in fact you never hide the fact, so you now say you're gay and your point is?

1. sabroni Silver badge

The point is obvious from the tweets printed. There's clearly a lot of people who still need to learn how to respect others and their freedom to love who they want to.

2. mccp

@ John Sanders

"so you now say you're gay and your point is?"

If you had actually read the original article you would know:

"I don’t consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I’ve benefited from the sacrifice of others," Cook wrote in an open letter published in Bloomberg.

"So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

You obviously didn't read his statement, or you would know exactly what his point was.

Tim Cook has stated that he has benefitted from the hard work and courage of many gay people, which helped him to get to the place in life where he is now, and he thinks he can pay back a little bit by officially stating that the CEO of a huge US company is gay, which might serve as encouragement especially to young gay people who still have to find their way through life.

4. Phil.T.Tipp

Absolutely. Why the fvck should I care Tim? I don't. I don't applaud your personal choices, nor can I condemn them, as they're your choices to make. Just keep that gay shit to yourself. Enough of this gay shit already. Shut up and get on with it.

1. dan1980
          Stop

@Phil.T.Tipp

I half agree - we shouldn't have to have high-profile people discuss their sexuality publicly.

We shouldn't but, unfortunately, we are not yet in a society where that is unnecessary. In such a society, an individual's sexuality should not matter one bit to anyone and should simply not be a factor in they way they are treated or valued or promoted or discussed.

Young homosexual people are still disproportionately represented in suicide statistics and I that is because they are made to feel like they have less worth than other, heterosexual people. The same goes for the entire LGBT community.

When you have an actor or sportsperson or leader or CEO or similar stand up and say: "I am gay", what they are saying is really: "it doesn't matter that I am gay; I was able to accomplish all this anyway because my sexuality is not the measure of my ability or determination or intelligence or goodness or creativity or, most importantly, my worth."

There are people out there in the religious right that believe - and preach - that 'god hates homosexuals' and will punish not only them but any who help them or even tolerate them. Showing someone who has risen to the top of one of the most valuable and important technology companies in the world who also just happens to be gay goes some way to dispel that ridiculous notion.

The same is true of other groups traditionally and to this day considered inferior by some sectors - people of different colours or races (or religions) and even women, who make up fully half the population of the world.

So no, it shouldn't, in an ideal world, be necessary to have people say they are gay, publicly, but unfortunately it is still necessary.

2. Phil_Evans

<sigh>

He must be thinking something like "I worked hard, studied some of the classics, went to the debate team, loved, lost, wrote some poetry, admired art. I helped build the pinnacle of technology for the masses, I lead virtually a nation of talented people and the biggest splash I've made to date is about my sexual preference". I say never underestimate the stupidity of a fool with a tool (like Twitter). Carry on.

3. Sir Barry

Personally, I don't care about a persons sexuality. Trolling morons shouldn't be allowed to access the internet.

1. lorisarvendu
      Unhappy

The Internet: A combination of instant communication and total anonymity that shows us the filth and bile that still lurks within the human psyche. Civilised? Some of us don't know the meaning of the word.

2. Cliff

Must admit my response to the 'news' was 'Oh.', it amazes me that anyone has enough of an opinion about someone they'll never meet that they'll summon up the bile to say nasty things.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Troll or Messiah

The trouble with banning is that one person's troll is another person's messiah. People should have the right to express their approval, disapproval or complete disinterest in homosexuality etc.

1. Michael Thibault
        Boffin

Re: Troll or Messiah

>the right to express their approval, disapproval or complete disinterest

If your disinterest is genuinely complete, you'd never exercise that right; apart from there being no point in doing so, doing so would make a liar out of you.

4. Annihilator

"Trolling morons shouldn't be allowed to access the internet."

Sadly though it seems to be their natural habitat.

5. Anakin
      Mushroom

Same here

What i don't understand is why anyone have anything to do with the way anybody live there lives.

Those homophobic must be afraid that Tim Cook or some other gay are going to fuck them. But i don't understand why they would do that.

I mean, gays are everywhere in fashion, design and showbiz and is known for there good taste.

Why in earth would a gay make a move on a fat, ugly, stupid homophobic who can't even get laid with a prostitute without paying double fee?

So let's spread the word. There is no hope for you homphobics to get laid and absolutly not with a gay.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dumb Idiots and Sexists....

Regardless of what you think of Apple and its products, the CEO's sexuality is irreverent...

As long as he and his partner are happy, its no one else s business.

1. grandours
      Angel

Re: Dumb Idiots and Sexists....

Irreverent? A Freudian slip no doubt.

2. BinaryBunglar

"...the CEO's sexuality is irreverent..."

Does this mean we are going to see a topical news quiz about this on early evening television?

Paris, just because.

1. tirk
        Trollface

@BinaryBunglar...

The irony of commenting on someone's mistyping, and then putting:

"Paris, just because."

but forgetting the icon. Priceless!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@BinaryBunglar...

The irony of commenting on someone's mistyping, and then putting:

"Paris, just because."

but forgetting the icon. Priceless!"

OTOH, this user is at least true to his handle :)

5. Alister

Maybe all those commentards who yesterday were posting "iYawn" and "Why is this news" on Reg's story about this should take note.

Unfortunately, although I agree it shouldn't be newsworthy when someone mentions their sexual orientation, this is the reality: a large part of the world's population are still bigoted homophobes.

1. John Sanders
      Meh

How come we did not noticed earlier...

"""This is the reality: a large part of the world's population are still bigoted homophobes."""

Yes, I propose you go to those large parts and convince them to change their minds.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: How come we did not noticed earlier...

If only we stopped exporting our freedoms we could laugh at them from orbit.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Devil

Oh. Puleeeze.

News? I thought it was painfully obvious. No "announcement" was required.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Free speech...

Here's one of the most appropriate xkcd's I could find :

Free speech...

Just because all these people have a different opinion doesn't mean we have to sit back and let them spew all this bullsh*t all over the internet...

1. Hud Dunlap
      FAIL

Re: Free speech... @malle-herbert

Yes you do. That is why it is called free speech. You don't have to read it. You can reply. What you don't have is the right to stop them from saying it just because you don't agree with them.

1. Eric Olson

My guess is that you were too lazy to read the comic. The point is that Free Speech is a two-way street. In fact, to shout the idiots down, sully their reputation, and destroy their business through boycott is the price they pay for the hate and garbage they spew.

So yeah, the reality is that if you open your mouth in a public square, the public square can and will respond. And the response might nott be flowers and chocolate but a destruction of your online persona.

Free Speech is not protection from your stupidity; it's an invitation to be a moron so we know how to handle you in the future.

2. Sean Timarco Baggaley

Freedom of Speech / Expression does not imply Freedom from Offence: in fact, the two are broadly incompatible. However, it also does not imply Freedom from Consequences.

However, the Internet is 90% privately-owned infrastructure, so those freedoms and rights are not as relevant. You agree to abide by the private owners' rules and regulations when posting on forums and the like, many of which explicitly ban offensive statements and remarks. Because—contrary to popular belief—they're perfectly entitled to do so.

Private entities (including individuals) are entitled to do this for the same reason people are allowed to call the police if some nut-job decides to stand in my front garden and shout obscenities at their family day and night.

The whole "Freedom of Speech" (and "Right to bear arms") stuff is intended to protect us from *bad government*. They're primarily political rights and responsibilities.

2. JEDIDIAH
      Devil

Re: Free speech...

> Just because all these people have a different opinion doesn't mean we have to sit back and let them spew all this bullsh*t all over the internet...

Yes. Actually it does. Otherwise it's not free speech.

It's not free speech if it's only the things you personally approve of.

This stupid sh*t is why we had to flee to another continent.

1. Eric Olson

Free Speech is protection of the citizens from being censored, jailed, or punished *by the government* for something said. There is nothing in the First Amendment that protects idiots from public humiliation, boycotts, and destruction of reputation.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not to mention that social media, although thoroughly massaged by the government, is not actually operated by the government.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> This stupid sh*t is why we had to flee to another continent.

And fortunately for those of us left behind, you took most of this shit with you.

7. Ian 56

Gaygate

I think you'll find it's about ethics in games journalism.

8. Don Dumb
    Boffin

So I guess all the 'Meh' comments now understand.

All those who went to great pains to tell us that Tim Cook coming out publicly wasn't news on yesterday's story - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/30/tim_cook_writes_open_letter_gay/ now understand that, while it shouldn't be a news story, it unfortunately is. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there aren't those who do.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So I guess all the 'Meh' comments now understand.

"now understand that, while it shouldn't be a news story, it unfortunately is. Just because you don't care doesn't mean there aren't those who do."

Yes Don, but if you want to know all about those sorts of stories you need to read Heat and not the Reg.

9. James 51

I think Dr.mohammed alhakeem greatly over estimates Tim Cook's influence on 'western' civilisation.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

I think Dr.mohammed alhakeem should learn to write a coherent English sentence...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apples love from non-standard hardware interfaces

is all becoming clear now.

11. J 7

I never realised Apple fans had a sexuality. I assumed they were all sterile asexual clones who were just turned on by technology and pretty toys, not by sex

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares, and why do they care?

That's the beginning of the extinction for the west civilization.Thanks allah we r Muslims

— Dr.mohammed alhakeem

Yeah, 'cos we all know there are no gay muslims right? ROFL. I guess it just goes to show that even if you're smart enough to earn a doctorate, you can still be utterly ignorant.

I personally greet Tim Cooks announcement with absolute ambivalence. His personal sexuality has no relevance to me at all, so while I'm unsuprised that we have trolls on one hand, and supporters on the other, I am disappointed that as a world we haven't progressed to the stage where homosexulaity isn't considered good or bad, but simply irrelevant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares, and why do they care?

"Yeah, 'cos we all know there are no gay muslims right?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares, and why do they care?

I am disappointed that as a world we haven't progressed to the stage where homosexulaity isn't considered good or bad, but simply irrelevant.

- - -

There are some people saying the same about their sexual preferences which other people find unacceptable even while tolerating homosexuality. I expect they also call people who disapprove of their sexual leanings bigots as well. Most of us would rail at them for what they do as being totally disgusting, perverted, depraved, sickening, against god, and a whole lot else.

What is acceptable is in the eye of the beholder. As is bigotry. Something to always bear in mind when criticising bigots and bigotry.

13. BenR

It makes you despair

As much as I couldn't give a flying fuck one way or the other as to Tim Cook's sexuality - who or what he decides to shag in the privacy of his own bedroom is nothing to do with me, as long as it's not children or animals - I thought his statement (other than thanking 'God' for the 'gift') struck the right note. He basically said that he was announcing it now in case it helped those people who weren't clear on their own sexuality be more comfortable with it, or to try to show support for those who were taking stick as a result.

That neatly matches my own opinions on religion - I think it's a crock of horseshite, but I'm not about to decry it as totally worthless if it helps some people in some way to deal with their own pain and loss and suffering (and before anyone points it out, yes, of course I am aware that in a lot of cases, the pain and suffering is often CAUSED by religion - YMMV).

This level of uninformed, uninspired, rampant bigotry in trolling is sadly unsurprising in this day and age of keyboard warrior dickheads spouting off behind a veil of anonymity. Like your mum always said - "If you can't say anything nice..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It makes you despair

Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist.

1. tirk

"Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist."

Hmm.

I thank god from the gift of.... perhaps not.

2. This Side Up

Yes, it's a shame he had to bring god into it.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just imagine the shitstorm if he came out as an atheist.

Thank God I'm an atheist. Oh, wait..

2. danbishop

You, sir, have summarised the view any decent human being should hold, perfectly.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think that with the overwhelming majority of media sources supporting (or not caring about) Tim's leanings, it's only articles like this that give anything like a mainstream voice to the 'haters'.

The fact is, whatever and whoever a person is, whatever they do and however they identify themselves, someone will tweet/post/rant against it somewhere. Tim is no different, except it's to do with a person's sexuality --- something society loves to talk about.

Imagine the furore if he was seen using an Android phone.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I LUCKED OUT!

God just gave me a pair of socks...phew!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why proud, confident or assured maybe?

As someone that has been employed as an "assumed gay"

(because I had worked somewhere before that had a positive inclusion policy).

The one thing that I never quite got was the "making a song and dance about it" (pun partly intended).

I'm not "Proud to be hetro" it's just what is.

So when a gathering of the otherwise inclined turned into a camp circus (this was 80's/90's) I didn't see it as any better than a rugby team being all overwhelmingly blokey out on a Saturday night.

In work I'm not proud about any part of my private sexuality, because it's the workplace.

1. Chris 3

Re: Why proud, confident or assured maybe?

> I'm not "Proud to be hetro" it's just what is.

Yes, but that's because you're not part of a minority who until recently were classified as criminal and who (for example) have to think twice before holding hands in the streets.

You don't have to think long and hard about the effect announcing your sexuality would have on family, friends, stockholders and customers.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Proud to be X is still just the wrong way to put it.

Perhaps it's a failing of the English language.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So why should being part of a minority that until recently was classified as criminal and still encounters plenty of abuse make you "proud"? You don't choose to be gay, or choose to be straight, you just are. Being proud of being gay is like being proud of being left handed or being proud of having blue eyes.

You can be proud to come out even though you know you will encounter some abuse, and maybe some friends/family won't accept it or treat you the same way. But there's a big difference in "proud to be gay" and "proud to be openly gay".

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one in four gays suffer online bullying - very low

"One in four gay young people experience homophobic bullying online, making them unhappy and less likely to reach their full potential at school"

To put this in perspective this is a lower rate of being subject to bullying and cyber-bullying than average.

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/cyber-bullying-statistics.html

That does not make it any less reprehensible but not evidence of a homophobic culture in the UK.

1. Raumkraut

Re: one in four gays suffer online bullying - very low

To put this in perspective this is a lower rate of being subject to bullying and cyber-bullying than average.

The "one in four" is only counting homophobic bullying, so the remainder of the bullied gay young people probably just get it exclusively for other reasons instead (for being poor, rich, tall, short, fat, thin, etc.).

But it does somewhat depend on the definition of "homophobic" bullying used. If being called a "faggot" counts, then given some of the environments young people are likely expose themselves to on the Internet, I'd expect one in four heterosexual young people experience homophobic bullying as well.

18. psychonaut

"Those plagued by it need help thru love"

means:

yes we love everyone. unless you are gay of course and then we dont love you. our love is conditional. oh and we ignore the other stuff in leviticus because it doesnt suit us. but gays...oh gays are going to hell

what a bunch of assholes. at least iof you have thast opinion just come out and say "i think its disgusting". to which any right minded persons response is "well, its your right to be a homophobe, but that doesnt mean we have to respect it. now fuck off"

"God hates homsexuality. It's a sin. He loves you and wants you to repent of such evil."

ok, so what the fuck has it got to do with you then? surely that contract is between him and god (if you go for all that bullshit)

and lets not even get started on the muslim guy. there are no gay muslims. ok! i believe that as much as i believe all the other bullshit religious types come out with, i.e. not at all.

im happily hetero and fully atheist, but i hate this kind of hiding behind my religion bollox.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"Those plagued by it need help thru love"

What they usually mean by that is "tough love". Like beating the crap out of you, followed by a stint in an iron maiden, culminating in chopping your head off. All for the sake of saving your immortal soul or ensuring you go to heaven #7 with 7.0E1 virgins at your service.

19. ukgnome
    Unhappy

ugh

I commented yesterday that this was 1950's news, it seems some of the fine folk on the internet never received the memo.

Taking a pop at someone on the internet is dumb, be they Muslim, Gay, Black, Ginger.

Or Gay Black Ginger Muslims.

So well done trolls, once again you have highlighted your awesomeness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ugh

It's the gingers I really feel sorry for: all that abuse and the nasty sunburn. Life ain't fair.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't feel sorry for gingers

At least they get a Ginger Discount Card!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It reminds me of the old saying.

Never argue with stupid people, they'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

The irony of everything is these people declare things like we should exterminate all gays and we'll have a better world etc, except even if they killed all gays, in a few generations we'd have gay people again because being gay is a natural behaviour.

On the other hand if we killed all the homophobes they wouldn't come back since it's a learned behavior rather than a natural one. Not that I advocate killing mind you, just the fact that I wouldn't mind if a few racists / homophobes etc accidently held the gun facing themselves when they decide to shoot.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The example tweets aren't trolls, except for WBC. They all believe what they spew.

WBC believe in the hate and have developed a trolling strategy to promote their false g_d.

20. K
    Gimp

"Homosexuality is evil and perverse"

But without evil, there can be no good... so therefore, evil is good!

.. now live and let live!

1. Elmer Phud

Re: "Homosexuality is evil and perverse"

If you've got a cowboy with a white hat riding a white horse you've got to have a cowboy in black as well.

No demons =no gods

21. John Savard

Terrorists!

It's so sad to see that Western civilization is so badly misunderstood.

Just because we have stopped throwing people in jail for being homosexuals doesn't mean we like this orientation. Most people here are still uncomfortable with the thought of it, they don't want their children to think of it as an option, and those who are Christians mostly believe that the Bible condemns it.

But just because we disapprove of someone doesn't mean we think we're entitled to murder him. So, unlike Ahmadiyya Muslims, for example, Mormons, Christian Scientists, and Seventh-Day Adventists do not live in fear for their lives in countries ruled by Roman Catholics or mainstream Protestants.

While Christians recognize that God must have really spoken to the Jews if the Bible is true, and so they're "People of the Book", historically, Muslims have just looked to them like a violent bunch following a crazy self-appointed prophet. But, unlike the followers of al-Muqanna, they haven't been exterminated.

So the West has values just as the Muslim world has values. It just has tolerance in addition to its values. And being tolerant is not the "beginning of the end" for the West.

1. psychonaut

Re: Terrorists!

well said.

if you want to proclaim that your god is a homophobic, xenophobic biggoted, capricious asshole, and you think that those kind of statement are going to convert people to your religion, we can simply say that , no thanks, we have already far exceeded the hideous and meager expectations (by some hundreds of years) that you hold your self too.

religion is a dying breed with the advent of knowledge, thank fsm.

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

"So the West has values just as the Muslim world has values. It just has tolerance in addition to its values."

That hasn't always been the case though. Ironically, the Jews have experienced the Western "tolerance" on their own skin many times and not only in the 20th Century...

Muslims are simply going through their aggressive phase now, which Christians have already gone through (or so we like to think and certainly hope).

I am quite sure that with time Muslims will denounce the satanist cults in their midst and will look back at the likes of ISIS like we look at Senior Torquemada & Co today.

3. Elmer Phud

" Most people here are still uncomfortable with the thought of it, they don't want their children to think of it as an option, "

Really?

I always wondered how my kids would grow up but never, ever, was worried.

You should not pass your own misguided fears on to your own kids - they'll hate you for trying or just think you're a fool.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

If anyone wants to believe in a sky fairy, that's their business. "We" don't think that's really appropriate, or like it, or want our children to seriously consider it as an option, but we're not going to exterminate you for it.

That said, evangelism shouldn't be allowed. If children grow up feeling an overwhelming urge to believe in a sky fairy, they absolutely should be allowed to go forth and find out about sky fairies, pick one they like and believe in them.

But religious types should not be allowed to try to convert others. It's disgusting. It's immoral. It's wrong. I am not saying we should kill, or imprison people for being what they are, but I really don't think it's right for multi-billion-dollar corporations to exist whose sole purpose is to make innocent children believe in a religion.

Values and morality stem from critical thinking and a carefully considered rational approach to social dynamics grounded in logic. Teaching children that it's whatever some charismatic authority figure says it is will corrupt them and bring ruination to our society.

Something must be done!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just read an article on The Verge that implied if you don't care about Tim Cook being gay, then you're probably a homophobe.

Nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely we can trust them to tell us what to think about #GamerGate

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

abuse was "unsurprising" to Stonewall

Or to anyone else who has ever used Twitter.... ?

24. Big_Ted
    Flame

OMFG .....

#Apple CEO #Tim_Cook says he is "proud to be gay" That's the beginning of the extinction for the west civilization. Thanks Allah we r Muslims

— Dr.mohammed alhakeem (@mahir55555) October 30, 2014

Both times my reaction was "What a tool" so the west is doomed because of this? To which I say "Thank God I am not a homophobic pratt but someone who can spell are..."

Oh and didn't I read somewhere that many people who are homophobic are insecure about their own sexuality or is that as stupid as being homophobic / racist / genderist / ageist etc etc....

1. Jes.e

Re: OMFG .....

"Oh and didn't I read somewhere that many people who are homophobic are insecure about their own sexuality or is that as stupid as being homophobic / racist / genderist / ageist etc etc...."

Yes. Yes you did read that somewhere..

And more interesting than that, the straight homophobes have a greater arousal response to watching gay porn than the gay dudes did.

There's a Ted talk out there about that which I would kill to be able to find right now..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OMFG .....

Criticising people who are racist, ageist, sexist is surely being istist and should definately be banned!)

25. Jim 59

Trolls

The tweets pictured are mild compared to the usual Twitter guff (swearing, threats to kill, hateful incantations, etc. etc.). I guess El Reg didn't print the worst.

People get more abuse just from coming on here and making a mild comment about systemd or similar.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Trolls

systemd was sent from a hell specially created to consume the last remnants of logic, rationality and long term software viability to make all of humanity suffer and weep in endless torment.

I mean, what were we talking about?

26. Nya

What I don't get is why anyone, even more so a CEO of a big company needs to go and make a big publicity things about their sexuality or anything else. It's their personal thing, and fair enough. But why go out of the way to feed the trolls? People don't go on stage and proclaim they are heavily into porn, or donkeys, or intimate relations with Dyson's, so why do people actively proclaim to the world things like this. It's none of the worlds business frankly and people are just what they are and be damned what anyone else thinks.

Only thing I can think of is Apples about the come up with a anti troll device or something soon and this is some marketing trick.

1. Glen 1
      Megaphone

Re: going out of his way to feed the trolls.

You have to shine a light on cockroaches so they realise they should scurry away.

By standing up and being counted, Tim Cook is contradicting a certain kind of narative that goes on in anti-gay circles. No, gay people aren't 'deviants' on the fringes of society. Being gay doesn't magically make you a pedo. In more enlightened societies, you can be successful and gay.

The fuckwits that reach for their torch and pitchfork as soon as someone says a trigger word (for the smalltown straight/white/male) show how far we still have to go before we can even pretend to call ourselves a civilised society (context: I'm a straight/white/male Brit),

2. Sinick
      Facepalm

One of these things is not like the others...

How very telling that you lump homosexuality together with bestiality and other fetishes most people would be ashamed to admit.

As for why a CEO of a big company needs to go public, is it too intellectually taxing for you to actually read a single sentence of what he wrote?

"So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy."

27. J 7

"But without evil, there can be no good... so therefore, evil is good!"

Wasn't that the root theory of the Bogomil heresy? And doesn't bogomil share the same root word origin as buggery? Or was that just propoganda by the Inquisition?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think we're all getting a bit too anal about this story.

and there's the rub!

29. wowfood
    Devil

Gotta love the religious nutbags

God hates homosexuallity it's a sin and you're going to burn in hell for eternity... but he still loves you.

It almost sounds like one of those abusive relationships where the man beats the woman for no reason then claims "I'm doing this because I love you" as his excuse... Yes I just compared God to a wife beater.

1. P. Lee

Re: Gotta love the religious nutbags

Homophobic trolls are not the only fruit.

In the Christian story, God takes the punishment for sin (death) on himself through Jesus' crucifixion so we can live forever. I'm not sure where that leaves the wife-beater analogy.

Its nice that Cook can appreciate being an oppressed minority. Now, perhaps he could use some of Apple's billions to improve the lives of some miserable Foxconn employees. Perhaps he could open his own factory to make the things he designs and sells. Then he could do something significant in terms of looking after at least the Poor who make the things which have made him so very, very wealthy.

I can understand Cook not wanting to support America's war-based foreign policy, but perhaps he could calculate how much tax Apple would have paid had US profits not been siphoned off abroad and donated an equal amount to charities who provide healthcare to those who would otherwise die early because they can't afford it.

Word of support for the oppressed are cheap. Of all the oppressed to support, those who are oppressed in terms of picking up their dead partners' assets due to their sexual deviancy (yes, that is the correct term) seems like a very "First World Problem" to try to solve. I'd have gone with the poor, the widows and the orphans, as representing a larger problem which needs to be dealt with.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing Ploy?

As Bill Hicks might have said: "The 'Pink Dollar', that's a good dollar to go for".

31. Oninoshiko

Personally

I would take being bullied by the Westboro Baptist Cult as a badge of honor.

1. MrRtd

Re: Personally

If the Westboro Cult is protesting you, you're most likely doing something right!

32. Rottenham

Drivel

If we could only outgrow our obsession with what others do in their bedrooms, we wouldn't have to read drivel like this.

33. Franco

Bill Hicks — 'The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love.'

This reaction was inevitable sadly, all credit to Cook for doing it when he must have known there would be this sort of reaction from the (very) shallow end of the gene pool.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cognitive Dissonance

Why in the world would he invoke God into the conversation when by all accounts it is clear that God does not look favorably upon Cook's preference?

1. John Savard

Re: Cognitive Dissonance

Not everyone who believes that there is a God also believes that every word of the Bible is literally true. Just as there are parts of the Bible that imply that the stars are shining spots on a solid dome over a flat Earth, there are parts of the Bible that say that homosexual relations are wrong.

One can throw both of those out, and still believe that there is a God, and that some truth about Him is reflected in portions of the Bible, like the Sermon on the Mount, as well as in some portions of the scriptures of other world religions.

Instead of expecting ancient writings to provide a comprehensive guide to all issues of right and wrong, one can rely on reason plus the principles of love and forgiveness, of honesty and respect for others, that are reflected in what is good, rather than what is bigoted, in the world's religions.

35. hi_robb

Ironic

The trolls getting outraged about fucking arseholes when they're quite clearly fucking arseholes...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm having trouble...

Coming to terms with being white, male, educated and heterosexual. I think you should all know about this, and be comforted if you are being subjected to constant bombardment by someone who thinks this makes you guilty of something.

37. Brian Allan 1

No need to state your preference!

I don't think there is a need to state your preference! How many heterosexuals do you see running around advertising their preference? How many hetero parades do we have? Do I have to wear a lapel pin advertising my orientation... no!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No need to state your preference!

Brian Allan 1, I see plenty. I see men and women holding each other's hands and even kissing one another in public. Also, when men and women get married they also generally wear rings to signify this (and implicitly state to the world that they are heterosexual even when their partner is not around, as gay marriage is not yet commonplace in many parts of the world).

I have done all of the above and am happy about it. I also feel that gay people should be able to do so just as happily, without being punished or abused for it. You may not think that you advertise your heterosexuality, but you most likely do on a regular basis just in little things you do or say, whereas someone who is gay and would rather not open themselves up to opprobium has to constantly make sure they don't reveal any "gay traits" so as not to be prejudged by their friends, employer or co-workers.

38. Mitoo Bobsworth

One of the downsides.

The interwebs and its availability offer a freedom of expression unlike any other medium today - one of the caveats being that its also available to idiots. In which case, the best response is none at all. My only surprise is that people are still surprised by the dull-witted on-line behaviour of such folk.

39. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

It did seem a little overboard

I thought it did seem all a little overboard.

Coming out (even though it was already obvious he was gay?) Sure.

Statement hoping that his coming out helps others out? Fair enough.

The news coverage? I don't know if this is really news. But the US so-called news shows already advertise Apple tat any time they are asked to (not just as filler, but bumping aside REAL news to do so), even for non-existant products like the watch. So, whatever, at that point letting the CEO make personal statements is little different.

Counting "being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me"? Umm, seems over the top. I've heard (straight) men saying they are God's gift to women, but not that being straight is a gift given unto themselves. It seems a bit odd to claim your sexual orientation is a gift given to you either way.

40. Mage Silver badge

It proves something

Best not to use Twitter.

41. Someone Else Silver badge
    FAIL

Words fail

A homophobic Russian politician also called for Cook to be banned from entering the country. Vitaly Milonov asked: “What could he bring us? The Ebola virus, Aids, gonorrhoea? They all have unseemly ties over there. Ban him for life."

Every time I think I have seen the pinnacle of humanity's stupidity, someone like this stupid fuck opens his/her mouth, and lowers the bar even further.

Comrade Milonov, to call you a moron degrades the term moron.

1. dan1980

Re: Words fail

At least he only believes homosexuals should be banned - a generous concession, I feel, given the way some others speak.

One of the key problems here is the way these people believe that homosexuality is a choice and I believe it is telling when they are found out to be totally not gay at all.

If it's a choice, then those pastors and politicians and activists aren't really homosexual - it's just a problem or due to the influence of Satan or society or whatever. Good, god-fearing parents can be reassured that their gay children are also not really gay and it can be fixed by adding more Jesus; pray the gay away.

That some of the most vocal anti-gay activists - be they priests or pastors or politicians or public figures - are themselves homosexual and terrified of their own natures is no surprise. They have grown up believing that homosexuality is wrong - a sin - and when they find that they have those same urges and desires, they go on the offensive. In part it is no doubt to throw people off their trail, like those who feign disgust at others when they have broken wind, but it is also because they desperately want to believe that they are not homosexual.

It's got to be society's fault, you see. It's all those left-wing gays pushing their left-wing gay agenda, trying to turn other people into left-wing gays (especially your children). Or is it the influence of Satan, who is operating gleefully in this world due to society's tolerance of those same left-wing gays.

Yes, that's it. But them? No, not gay. Not at all.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Words fail

That guy Milonov is an opportunist sensing where the wind is blowing from and trying to take advantage of it because he failed trying to carve a niche for himself in another way.

He apparently started his political career as a liberal (woah there!). That did not work well, so he then converted to Orthodoxy, reclassified himself as an ultra-right wing religious nutcase and, hey, there's no stopping him ever since! Except, the anti-gay propaganda law is his only achievement to date, so he is understandably protective of it.

The degree of opportunistic bigotry he is prepared to stoop for is so amazing that a couple of years ago the fed up St Petersburg Communists(!) sent a public petition to the city's Head of Committee for Culture (after Milonov's opposition to Madonna doing a show there) requesting to invite Milonov to perform himself instead of Madonna, with a set-list of patriotic hymns and sexual education ballads. :-)

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone who spews hatred in the name of their religion is not a Christian, despite what religion they may claim. Otherwise I'd feel obligated to apologize for their ignorant ways on behalf of the real Christian community.

Anon because admitting to Christianity in a discussion of gay rights more often than not results in flames, regardless of the rest of what is said.

1. dan1980

@AC

The unfortunate thing is, as I said above, that there are those who have been so indoctrinated to believe that homosexuality is a sin that they refuse to accept it when they see it in their friends or their children or even - especially - in themselves.

Many non-religious people hate and fear homosexuals to be certain, but the belief that homosexuality is a sin comes from religion. (The word 'sin' gives it away!)

This is why you see some strongly Christian, loudly anti-gay activists be found as themselves being gay. They protest the loudest because they are scared of that nature inside themselves. They believe it to be a sin so must believe it to be a choice - something that can be 'cured'.

Their own sexuality challenges their faith because if homosexuality really is a sin then why would their God make them homosexual? The answer they cling to is that they are not really homosexual because it is just a choice - they faith they have built their lives around is still absolute and they can be cured and everything will be alright again; they'll pray the gay away.

While I agree and accept that this is not necessarily a mainstream thing, it is still a big enough problem. What they hate is THEMSELVES and they redirect that outwards. they are ashamed of what they are because of what they believe and so they must believe - for their own sake - that being gay is a choice and one they can fix in themselves.

It's that - frankly selfish - need that sees vilify other people and pour their own guilt and insecurity and self-loathing out onto other people.

We had a priest here in Australia who lost his diocese because he refused to stop giving communion to homosexuals. There are many, many good ones out there, but they aren't the loudest voices, unfortunately.

43. PaulR79

Didn't everyone already know?

I must admit to being totally lost here. I thought it was already common knowledge and as the article mentions he hasn't hidden it so why the sudden barrage of hate? I would very much like if everyone had the same thought as me when I read / heard he was gay - so what?

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

someone came up with a rumor a while ago ...

... that Homo Sapiens Sapiens is a species with advanced intelligence.

Reading those bigoted troll comments makes me question that conclusion.

45. Jes.e

Tim didn't merely come out..

He published it in an essay in Bloomsburg magazine, which I apparently overlooked in the original article.

To all those "meh" folks, go read:

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay

46. Colin Ritchie
    Windows

35 years on and still singing.

This is the best announcement Tim Cook has made as Apple CEO so far.

Brave and fearless boss.

Sing it Tom: http://youtu.be/eLc-bh_DrKw

47. badger31

The squeaky wheel wants to be greased.

And that's where the real fear in homophobe comes from.

48. StimuliC

Trolling?

Is it any different from reading a newspaper that deliberately posts stories, most times made up based on loose fact with the intention of inflaming their readership or for example websites that accumulate news stories such as Drudge Report who will play with wording so that people with inflammatory titles totally different from the actual story title and it's content merely to make people go to them and have them troll the comment sections of stories.

The only reason we see internet trolls and we don't see them that much in print is because the Internet has given the world a medium that makes it quick, easy and extremely convenient for people to post their statements, regardless of how hurtful, how biased or how untrue.

Before the internet was readily available it was far easier to cut out the negative or hurtful letters to the editor that were sent merely to antagonize people. Sure someone read it but it was censored and there was that firewall, instead the 'Troll' was the person in the bar or at work that was loudmouthed, abusive and hateful and antagonized and bullied people.

You have to treat Internet Trolls in the same way as you would in a person to troll situation! IGNORE THEM. They soon get tired when you don't react to them.

Banning them won't work. Every single person has made a statement that could be deemed trolling over the years and the internet would soon be an unused and inaccessible medium if people were not allowed to use it because they had made a statement that upset someone.

49. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

It's news!!

As in: "Oh, okay." And then, 3s later, it's old news.

@Tim Cook (just in case he drops by) - the beer is for you, cheers.

50. Gil Grissum

Well, if Tim Cook was the CEO of a Chinese company, He probably wouldn't have made this announcement. Looks like it's had the opposite effect from what he wanted. His sectual preference is of no concern to me, but his flat/yawn inducing keynotes need some help.

51. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Appropriate comment

Re. Internet trolls, I don't remember what movie this was from, but: "Everyone's entitled to be an asshole. You abuse the privilege."

Re. Tim being gay: Here's to you for having the courage to come out to the unwashed troglodytes that make up most of our society. I hate Apple devices, but this actually made me slightly more likely to buy one.

And for the record, I am hetero, but have never understood why people are homophobic. Me thinks it is denial.

52. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back in the day...

Realizing that Silicon Valley tech corporations are loosey goosey affairs re traditional professional organization culture, comparing similar features of both may help to explain the issue and the friction. Back in the day, in academia, business and government, everyone was expected to be at their place of work to perform the job they had come, or were hired, to do and not to use their positions, high or low, to expound on or use it as a platform for expression of their personal (non-work related) preferences, opinions and actions - particularly when it came to religion, politics or sexual relations. No, it wasn't always observed, but the reason for the rule was simple. Those topics invariably elicit strong opinions pro and con, that often are backed as much by emotion as reason and such individual differences are not easily resolved by debate or persuasion. Their discussion frequently turns to debate and then to argument which interferes with subsequent personal interactions that are critical to the most efficient operation of the group in whatever tasks or goals they seek to accomplish as a cooperating group - i. e., there are enough rough spots in organizing varied personalities to perform common difficult tasks without members needlessly aggravating each other. The WWW isn't an institution or organization with missions and goals, so there's no applicability here, but Apple is (and a publicly owned one at that), and by traditional standards it was of no benefit to the corporation, and probably detrimental, for the CEO to indulge himself by using his position to expound on personal things that have no apparent relevance to the organization or its functioning. If there were tensions within the company, along the lines of prejudice regarding sexual preference that needed to be aired and policies firmly stated, that's another kettle of fish, but there is no indication of that to date.

53. J 7

Only way to get rid of trolls is to stop building bridges

54. Stevie

Bah!

So many people. So much energy. So little sanity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like