back to article Sony borks fanboi funboxes with dodgy PS4 update

Support staff for Sony's PlayStation 4 have been sent scrambling after users reported issues with the console's latest firmware update. The PS4 2.00 update had promised a handful of new features for Sony's latest console, including the ability to upload YouTube videos of gameplay, share games with friends, and decorate the …

1. Cirdan
    Meh

Seriously...

Since they can push updates after the fact, are they really doing less QA than they used to back in the 80s or is it less bugs per line of code but SO MANY LINES OF CODE that a few slip through? I just don't remember this kind of stuff after a release.

Amirite, is it rose-tinted glasses, or am I just getting a little long in the tooth and short on memory?

...Cirdan...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously...

Its a good point, being on CD with no writable hdd all those PS2 games never got any patches.

I remember the pal release of harvest moon on the ps1 was unwinnable to to a bug, and they had to do a product recall...

Simpler doesnt always mean bug free... ET on the Atari was proof of that.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, well. At least once it's fixed they will be able to sit back and watch a Cinavia protected MKV format movie via any DNLA media player. Oh, wait - no you need an Xbox One for that!

1. Daniel B.
        Facepalm

Ah, it was just a matter of time before an MS shill posted a non-topical comment peddling the Xbox 180. And as usual, it's a an AC. Not sure if that's better than the usual shills...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Harhar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RToPCBZN6o

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: AC, XBone is cool

Yeah, I love playing GAMES at 720p on my XBone! What's that? PS4 manages 1080p at 60fps? Well I can play a DRM video so nyah!!!

(Sorry, derail, couldn't resist, easy target....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Yeah, I love playing GAMES at 720p on my XBone! What's that? PS4 manages 1080p at 60fps? Well I can play a DRM video so nyah!!!"

At least the PS4 can stream HD to Twitch. Oh, wait - no you need an Xbox One for that too..the PS4 can only manage 540p. And with adverts too...

1. Captain Scarlet
            Trollface

/me enters argument with something about computers being better

2. Oninoshiko

You know, it's always entertaining watching the peasants fight their petty peasant squabbles at silky-smooth above-"HD" graphics, with the option of streaming my feed or watching whatever video I feel like.

--PCMasterRacer

2. Guus Leeuw

Yeah, but what is forgotten is that PS4 is essentially a known platform. There's no PS4 with this graphics or that disk, or such operating system patch level...

Therefore the number of regression tests is fairly well defined, and should be possible to automate...

I don't get why so many walled-garden-software has to be soo buggy these days...

Regards,

Guus

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not. With 13.5m PS4 consoles SOLD TO CUSTOMERS (not Microsoft's desperate fakery of 6m shipped), guess what. A small number will have problems.

Anyone that can't understand this, well they really shouldn't be trusted with anything more than a burger slice...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

13.5 m IDENTICAL consoles shipped, you maroon.

Test thoroughly on one and you're done. The problem is that modern software has plunged down a rabbit hole of untestable complexity. That's why everything else these days is little apps. Hard to go that way with an OS.

Static types FTW!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Interestingly, Microsoft hasn't announced ANY Xbox One sales figures since April, and then it was only shipped numbers.

They must be far worse that even we can imagine...

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-unit-sales-reach-13-5m-worldwide-as-console-enjoys-its-best-quarter-since-launch/0140728

"We’ve not had any firm Xbox One numbers from Microsoft since it said it had shipped 5m units back in April."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" Interestingly, Microsoft hasn't announced ANY Xbox One sales figures since April, and then it was only shipped numbers."

They have announced increased profit and revenue though. Unlike Sony that have announced a predicted 2 billion loss for the year! I wouldn't risk buying a PS4 personally - it's likely to end up as an oversize doorstop when Sony go bust...

1. Daniel B.

Shill's gotta shill...

They have announced increased profit and revenue though. Unlike Sony that have announced a predicted 2 billion loss for the year! I wouldn't risk buying a PS4 personally - it's likely to end up as an oversize doorstop when Sony go bust...

Microsoft has announced a profit. The Xbox division isn't doing so well, which is why MS has been repeatedly told that they should either spin off or kill that part of MS before it brings down the rest of the company. Given that they also took a hit with their ghastly Windows 8 fiasco, they probably should heed the investors' advice.

On Sony's side, the PS division is probably the one that has been keeping them afloat; if Sony does go down, the PS division might get spun off on its own. Hell, Sony itself might survive a bankruptcy scenario, see how Daewoo has found life as "LG".

3. Daniel B.
    Boffin

Heh.

I don't know how they're managing PS4 updates, but I remember that most PS3 firmware updates were mandatory, especially after 3.21 when they axed OtherOS. They seem to have stopped after 4.55, which IIRC was released around the time the PS4 was released. It's probably because Sony is now more worried about the PS4.

If the 2.00 update is mandatory, then they're going to have to release a fix really soon. Yipes!

1. SuperTim

Re: Heh.

Sony have learned their lesson from the "Other OS" debacle. They now don't appear to promise that your console will actually do anything at all, just that it is "For Gamers". Presumably, this means that any bugs that don't actually stop the thing playing all games means it fulfils its advertised use. Under-promise and over-deliver (like Scotty from Star-Trek) is only good if you are able to over-deliver.

For what appears to be a capable machine, they sure are ensuring it doesn't do much.

4. jai

"have become almost routine major updates"

Aside from the above quote not making sense, it seems odd to me the the PS4, Xbox One and iPhone are the only devices in the world to have had a major update / system release.

I was pretty sure there were a gazillion other items and devices out there in the world, and so three of them having issues with an update doesn't qualify for "almost routine"

5. khisanth

Ahhhh so this is why my voice control with the camera is buggered

6. Markus Kotilainen

A possible fix for the rest mode bug

I've been bitten by this as well. First of all, should you find your console flashing the light yellow (and thus not "resting" properly) don't remove the power cord. Hold the power button for a while (10s or so), the console should shut itself. Supposedly this is better than just yanking the power.

As for the fix: before putting your console to rest (nee standby) mode, close the current application. That is, enter the main menu with the PS button, press "options", select "Close application" (or something like that, at work right now so can't check the exact wording). After that I've found rest mode to work properly. Irritating, but hopefully we'll get a proper fix soon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A possible fix for the rest mode bug

And perhaps SONY can change the terms and conditions of purchasing a PS4 to include a cause that prohibits sale of said console to anyone who does not have a Masters Degree in Computer Engineering.

7. Looper
    FAIL

Console Fanbois ALL Anonymous Cowards...

Either teenagers OR grown men permanently trapped in puberty.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like