back to article Are there sounds on Mars? NASA launches audio athenaeum

Audiophiles at NASA have published more than 60 samples of historical space artefacts to the administration's Soundcloud account. The athenaeum opens up the opportunity to listen to some of space exploration's idiosyncratic oddities, including quips and musings between Houston and astronauts, pings from the distant Kepler, or …

1. William Donelson

Awesome, thanks!

2. Xpositor

Favourite

My favourite audio quote is the one from when the Mars Climate Orbiter was on final approach: "****, ****, **** - what do you mean they were using metric?"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No real sounds from Mars ?

How hard would it have been to build a microphone into one of those rovers ?

1. Graham Marsden
      Alien

Re: No real sounds from Mars ?

The chances of any sounds coming from Mars are a million to one...

Ulla! Ulla!

2. cray74

Re: No real sounds from Mars ?

"How hard would it have been to build a microphone into one of those rovers ?"

The Phoenix lander had a microphone and wasn't able to record anything, so the plan to include a microphone in Curiosity's MARDI (its descent camera) was dropped. There's been some debate about whether Phoenix's microphone was working (it might've been frozen).

The Mars Polar Lander also had a microphone, but both the microphone and lander were eaten by the Great Galactic Ghoul. All files of the sounds of digestion were ordered sealed by then-President Clinton to avoid terrifying the public with the probe's robotic death cries.

4. CatoTheCat

whoosh

The sound of the winds of Mars would be a wonderful white noise.

1. Fungus Bob
      Coat

Re: wonderful white noise.

Shirley, you mean _red_ noise...

Mine's the one with the fart machine in the pocket.

5. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Thumb Up

I sense a Bowie listening session coming up

Wild is the (Martian) wind, Life on... Spiders from...

1. Doogs

Re: I sense a Bowie listening session coming up

Or Lemon Jelly...

"Zero G and I feel fine"

6. i like crisps
    Alien

No concrete on the Moon..

..On one of them you can just about hear the Director say "cut!"

7. Cthugha

all of them sound better

than JessieJ

8. Shaha Alam
    Black Helicopters

"haha, houston, they're so not buying this..." - N Armstrong

will that one be there?

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. EL Vark
    FAIL

grrr...

What an arse crap piece of so and so the Soundcloud website be. It's one of those "keep loading new data as you scroll down unto infinity" pages with no discernible menu structure or index. Sad that NASA has hooked up with such a deranged monkey-poor design for such a valuable library.

I'll lean back and listen to a loop of Titan's hiss from my copy of the Huygens probe transmission which came directly from the agency years back instead of stumbling blindly around some half-baked third-party site in the hope of finding something worthwhile. You Soundclod (sic) twats should all be ashamed of yourselves.

1. johnB

Re: grrr...

A truly horrible website

11. Old Handle

"You can hear the roar of a space shuttle launch or Neil Armstrong's 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' every time you get a phone call," the agency said.

Did they really? I thought they still maintained he said the more logical "for a man", even if you can't hear it.

12. Glenn 6

Any sounds from Uranus lately?

And why am I the only one making this obvious joke?

Oh, right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like