back to article Smartphone giant _____ puts citizens' private data beyond reach of oppressive regime _____

Chinese Apple wannabe Xiaomi says it's spent much of the past year migrating its online services out of its Beijing data centers so that it can better serve customers in international markets. The Middle Kingdom's smartphone upstart is virtually unknown in the West but is already outselling Samsung in China and has lately …

1. Jungleland

Take a guess and fill in the blanks

I'll have a go

Smartphone giant PRETENDS [to] put[s] citizens' private data beyond reach of oppressive regime aka 5 Eyes

1. Mark 85

Re: Take a guess and fill in the blanks

They traded their home regime slurping but gave the 5-eyes easier slurping. Or maybe... gave everyone the gruel for slurping? Or...the data gets sent home for "safekeeping" and the home slurp? Lately it's a question not of who's slurping but who's not slurping.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here is a business plan...

Make a phone with an os that doesn't require customers data to be stored on your servers. Novel i know.

1. Adam Inistrator

Re: Here is a business plan...

or magic "client-side encryption" allows you to store all your stuff in the cloud but it is only unencrypted in your phone/pc. best of all worlds and surprisingly hard to find

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting name.

That's pretty much pronounced "Show me", yeah? Could lead to some interesting slogans.

Mobile phone tech? Whatever.

4. Saaboo

Is it secret spying by China?

From a news report about findings by Indian Air Force, it appears that the Xiaomi phones are used as mass spying instruments by china. With its huge financial resources, China can no doubt afford to subsidize these phones to carry spying activities on millions of unsuspecting victims. It is high time that these phones are banned by Indian Government and other governments. The users may also boycott them voluntarily.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it secret spying by China?

Eh, as opposed to phones and o/s's made by US companies ? Seriously, the only o/s I'd halfway trust right now is Jolla.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Why...

... does a phone maker even need to know who the end users are, let alone keep data on therm?

1. Vector

Re: Why...

Follow the money...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like