I have knackered my Macbook Pro Retina Display!

This topic was created by Sam Haine .

1. Sam Haine

I have knackered my Macbook Pro Retina Display!

I bought a MacBook Pro in March of this year from the Apple Online Store by debit card. No problems.

This morning I when I closed it I caught the power adapter connector (about 4mm deep) between the top left corner of the keyboard and the bottom left corner of the screen. I now have a column of dead and dysfunctional pixels about 3cm wide on the left side of the screen. No external signs of damage.

No insurance unfortunately.

The AppleCare Protection Plan explicitly excludes accidents, I'm either going to have to pay for a new screen (not cheap I'm sure) or argue that the goods were not of satisfactory quality (durability) as the amount of damage sustained by the screen is greater than would be expected from application of such a small amount of force and ask for a repair or replacement under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

On another forum, others have suggested fibbing and saying it just stopped working out of the blue. Apple might not believe it because it was working fine for six months before this happened and the pattern of dead pixels looks like it might be diagnostic of a certain kind of damage.

Any other suggestions?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon