back to article New Scottish Apple Store appears, then VANISHES off map app

It appears someone has taken steps to cover their tracks after accidentally revealing the existence of a new Apple Store on Apple's map app. Even though the existence of a new "iStore" was one of the worst kept secrets in Edinburgh, it seems someone was determined to maintain its blown cover. Apple has denied making the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Secrets, schmecrets

Here's the location on OpenStreetMap.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/55.95341/-3.19024

Shame if someone were to add it there, information wanting to be free and all that..... :)

2. dkjd

Or you can read about it here

www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-princes-street-apple-store-opening-date-1-3567469

1. dkjd

its also on apples own site, but that would be pretty hard for you guys to check I guess :P

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/princesstreet/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But there is no news like APPLE APPLE APPLE news!

Apple does nothing today is still news ;-)</saracasm>

3. hi_robb
    Joke

I wonder if they'll have a new product range for the Jocks!

The aye-Phone, aye-Pad and aye-Pod...

/gets coat (because Scotland is cold)

1. guybles
      Coat

Re: I wonder if they'll have a new product range for the Jocks!

It's prone to rain up here - you might want to wear a Mac.

(thank you, thank you, I'm here all week, try the deep-fried Mars Bar)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

News? VANISHES - wow!

So is it unreasonable Apple would not want people thinking there was a store there BEFORE it was actually open - sounds pretty reasonable to me? Clearly it's a badly kept secret - if meant to be a secret at all when workmen and the local bus company clearly know all about it.

1. Mattjimf

I remember seeing something pointing to the planning application on the council website around August last year.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opposite the Balmoral

If you are going to charge £700 for a iPhone, best to situate the shop opposite the entrance to a Hotel that charges nearly the same for a nights stay. Passing trade and all that.

No reception? Its the 12'' thick Sandstone walls, on the buildings around here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Opposite the Balmoral

In those terms makes the iPhone seem good value - £500-700 for a phone that you are likely to use many times a day for the next 2-4 years and even if you changed it after 2 years is likely still worth about half it's original value to trade in or sell?

So what's that ~50p a day - compared to how much for a 1 night stay in decent hotel - guess they throw in breakfast though.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The thing that gets me is that there are not enough Apple stores - pretty much anytime I have been they are busy and with the new iPhones and (soon) new iPads etc. and the run up to Christmas it's going to get crazier.

7. Alan Denman

yawn

...nuff said

8. Velv
    Pint

Visitors to the new store should take careful note of the map in the article showing one "Snax Cafe" - a most excellent if slightly infamous greasy spoon that serves a range of full breakfasts (yes, range) that will set you up nicely for your time in the iQueue for new products.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Snax

They also do a fine double bacon cheeseburger and chips - think I will have that for lunch tomorrow!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple ?

Last week, I walked past an unsigned store in a Houston shopping mall. I couldn't work out why there was a cordoned off area in front of it with 5 people waiting. Then I realised that this bland grey warehouse area was an apple store and that even though there were only a few people within the store, the numbers were being limited probably to create the impression of high demand. In terms of visual attraction of the store, I rated it about 2/10. The only thing in it's favour was that it was clean.

We have Apple users within the family, they had to have the latest. They returned their big screen phones after 2 days as their hands aren't big enough!

I use a 6" android phone, but always use two hands and a stylus for emails.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Apple ?

Your Houston experience was the total opposite to mine in Wilmington, Delaware last Friday afternoon. The apple store was heaving with people. IT was the Microsoft store where the staff outnumbered thre customers and there were less than 8 staff. Perhaps the queue was for a new delivery of iPhone 6+ devices.

It goes to show that different places, different results.

10. Mystic Megabyte
    Gimp

Bad mapspace reception?

They're building it wrong!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It disappeared...

Because the locals voted no.

More importantly why sell Apple tat in Scotland.

Everyone knows the average Jock hasnt got two fivers to rub together.

The only conclusion I can reach is that the local junkies go in the store to snort coke off the smooth flat surfaces.

Or warm up some smack on a bent iphone 6.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It disappeared...

Do you base your entire opinion of Scotland on Trainspotting?

More to the point, Edinburgh's full of twats. Here's a place for them to congregate.

Disclaimer: I lived there for a decade and loved it. Some great people but loads of twats. They tend to wear rugby shirts and pretend to be highlanders.

12. Stuart Halliday

So why the big Apple sign outside the store?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MacUser

... a magazine for Scottish heroin addicts.

14. Clyde

Used to be a Woolworths

I remember that Woolies - they had a canteen on an upstairs floor. Used to get a lunch there some Fridays.

Didn't realise so many other shops had also floundered in the same building.

Ach well, Edinburgh is the right place for Apple. Fur coats and nae knickers.

15. Phil Endecott

Far from the worst error on Apple Maps.

On the screenshot in the article, you can see that they still have a displacement between the building outlines and the roads. The area around Canongate is still shown as a large park. And the bridges are shown as crossroads until you zoom in far enough.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having just returned from "the Athens of the North" I can confirm that the map you have shown in your piece is correct. I saw workers pasting notices saying Apple Store on what is the previous home of Woollies in Princes St. I saw no mention of a date - or, if I did see a date, I did not observe it. ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like