back to article Grooveshark caught in a net of its own making

Music streaming service Grooveshark has become the latest casualty of copyright law, courtesy of executives trying to boost its catalogue in its start-up days. In a summary ruling that decides a case launched in 2011, The New York Times reports, Manhattan federal district judge Thomas Griesa entered a filing of direct …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair cop

Looks like they were taking the piss a bit. I reckon the execs should be personally punished in the same way that citizens are.

1. akeane

Re: It's a fair cop

Groovy!

2. Potemkine Silver badge

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Oh... bugger

3. Cookieninja

Idiots! Why on earth did they think it was a groovy idea to instruct their employees to break the law ... and leave a permanent email record ?

It's not a great idea, period, but if you're going to be illegal at least try and do it secretly like .. I dunno ... giving the instructions verbally and then denying you said it. Emails can be destroyed, but it's better not to create damaging documents of any kind in the first place if possible!

1. 4ecks

Re. "Idiots"

Agreed, what they should have done was send an e-mail to all employees expressly stating that no uploading should be done on company IP addresses as it would invalidate the Safe Harbour provisions, but that what employees choose do in their own time/premises as a private individual is their own business.

Infer what you will.

4. Alistair Silver badge
    Coat

Hmmm. Parallel for a bank would be:

While you are on your way to work try to find a homeless person who would like a mortgage they can't afford.

>>> end of cycle >>>

"we need a bailout!!"

(okay yeah, I'm carrying on a bit aren't I?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm. Parallel for a bank would be:

And the analogy for comparing a ad-funded music service to a bank would be comparing your rear end to your elbow and being unable to tell the difference?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020