back to article Ruskies use commercial crimeware to mask 'patriotic' Ukraine hacks

Political hack-attacks are being made to look like bread-and-butter financial fleecing scams, according to researcher F-Secure, after watching Russian hacker collective Quedagh's use of the popular BlackEnergy exploit kit.. The group customised the off-the-shelf malware to attack Ukrainian agencies located in Dnipropetrovsk, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"intriguing convergence of criminal activity and espionage"

The convergence of criminal and government activities pretty much sums up Russia in a nutshell.

Here's hoping they'd stop playing power games and concentrate on the betterment of their people's livelihoods instead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "intriguing convergence of criminal activity and espionage"

so you mean that the daily attacks on my computer with embedded zero days in pdf streams, dodgy links to zombie websites, actual links to actual websites - which I know would trigger the NSA/GCHQ 'race condition' to get my 'puter under remote subversion, you mean that I now have to ascribe about 50% of these attacks to those damn' russkies!

OK, I'll accept that. except, when the spooks actually PHONE ME UP to try and socially engineer that I accept a poisoned pdf, they weren't at all slavic.... look guys, I have no secrets on my PC, I just exchange encrypted mail because my work requires that.

so lets try that post again

"The convergence of criminal and government activities pretty much sums up governments in a nutshell."

"Here's hoping they'd stop playing power games and concentrate on the betterment of their people's livelihoods instead."

fixed that for you

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It was not a reference to real or imaginary attacks on your PC, or to IT at all. It was a reference to mafia state activities ranging from killing journalists and stealing entire corporations all the way to engineering "domestic revolts" in neighbouring countries.

If you live anywhere near Russia you'll be happy to know that the Russian government has set up a service where Russians living in your country can file complaints about their maltreatment directly to Mr. Putin. They still need pretexts for their invasions, never mind if there is any relation to reality. The cold war is back, whether you want to admit it or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd say the "hot war" is back and you're behind the times...

when you analyse the world, you see that the failed Ukraine color revolution team have now moved to Hong Kong!

From The Guardian: Hong Kong pro-democracy protesters in fresh stand-off with police Photo: Media mogul Jimmy Lai wearing goggles appears outside the government headquarters to join a protest in Hong Kong on Sunday..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/28/hong-kong-clashes-kick-start-plans-activists-blockade-city

but what's this in June about the Paul Wolfowitz meeting?

The Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the HKSAR — discussing media tycoon Jimmy Lai Chee-ying’s meeting with a former US official — said it opposed foreign forces interfering in Hong Kong’s affairs.

A special edition of Eastweek showed Lai… meeting Paul Wolfowitz, a former US deputy secretary of defense in George W. Bush’s administration…on Lai’s private yacht for five hours in late May…

The paparazzi of Eastweek also captured Mark Simon, a Taiwan-based commercial director of Next Media Group, walking with Wolfowitz at Sai Kung pier where Lai’s yacht was docked. Before relocating to Hong Kong in 1992, Simon had spent three years working in the Pentagon as a submarine analyst…

Eastweek also said the National Endowment for Democracy (NED) and its two subsidiaries had been offering training and funding to organizations in Hong Kong. The report alleged that NED is controlled by US intelligence agencies. http://www.chinadailyasia.com/hknews/2014-06/20/content_15142785.html

so yes, lets complain about Russia, but this week's story is about a part of another BRICS nation that is spontaneously revolting, and I liked Hong Kong very much - just don't use snipers this time?

I still think this thread "intriguing convergence of criminal activity and espionage" is relevant in a technology journal like the Register as we now have an engaged online sock-puppet debate, which is very technological.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: engaged online sock-puppet debate

Yeah, and now it's got so bad even the sock puppets are complaining about the sock puppets.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Facepalm

Straight outta Nuland

stealing entire corporations all the way to engineering "domestic revolts" in neighbouring countries

Oh, you mean "color revolutions". No , wait... those countries are an ocean away. So it's probably justified. And if muslim, we bomb them to smithereens, inventing imminent threats as we go. So that can't be all bad, then?

Governments - looking out for you since the Assyrian empire.

1. Alistair
            Pint

Re: Straight outta Nuland

Governments - looking out for themselves since the Assyrian empire.

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
              Pint

Re: Straight outta Nuland

Governments - looking out for the elite since Sumer (BabyloniEmpire) .

FTFY

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Elsewhere

Another article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/26/researchers_tell_black_hats_youre_sooo_predictable/) got me to thinking on how much of what the blackhats do comes right out of spying's "tradecraft." And here we see yet more methods that overlap. Too bad that "x on the internet" isn't allowed as a patent anymore (Alice v. CHS Holdings).

One sure thing, nobody in these dust-ups cares the least bit about those of us caught up in the attacks or the defenses (let alone blowback). Think transport grids, hospitals, yada yada. That's not exactly surprising. Funny how an Arab engineer managed to awaken us to the realities of power by killing 3000 people, all of them either part of the elite or their servants.The 1% realizing that even they can be victims. It was an awakening here when the fiction of our democracy/republic was exposed for what it is, not much different than the Middle Ages and much that went on earlier.

/soapbox

In the meantime, keeping my server and workstations completely off the 'net sounds better and better. I have enough to amuse me still. Leave the conflict zone to the tablets and laptop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021