back to article Ello? ello? ello?: Facebook challenger in DDoS KNOCKOUT

Ello, the social network site intended to serve as something of an antidote to ad-stuffed Facebook, was hit by a suspected Distributed-Denial-of-Service attack today. The outfit, which has gained plenty of press coverage in the past week after employing the classic invite-only marketing trick to lure in more users, said on its …

1. T. F. M. Reader Silver badge

It sounded like they had trouble scaling - probably a major reason for the "invitation only" policy. Thus even a relatively small DoS attack by someone who just saw one of the media reports and did it for lulz could push them off the intertubes.

1. Christoph

Yes, my understanding is that most social media sites start off invite-only simply because they don't yet have the necessary kit to handle an influx of many thousands of users. The invite system lets them easily control the rate of growth to match their current capacity.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
        Pint

In which case was it simply too many curious people hitting the main page and not a deliberate attack at all?

Or another bit of subtle marketing?

Beer 'cos I fancy one right now.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Hear, hear!

If they "blocked IPs", then a DDoS it wasn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hear, hear!

If they "blocked IPs", then a DDoS it wasn't.

Maybe a not very distributed Distributed Denial of Service? Some of these attacks are so primitive you can rate-limit them at router level.

3. thomas k.

Thwart the competition?

Can Mark account for his whereabouts this weekend?

1. Kaltern

Re: Thwart the competition?

It was simply the FUPS - Facebook User Protection System© kicking in - another social site was potentially stealing their custom.. I mean livesto... sorry, I mean user's detail, and therefore triggered a Safety Barrier system, ensuring that Ello cannot steal any more of their potential prof... sorry, I mean, user's data as Facebook of course keep this very secure and wouldn't want anyone who hasn;t paid... sorry I mean, anyone who shouldn't be seeing it from well, seeing it.

I think I got that right.

4. stevj

I think it looks good for wwhat it is. But i'm willing to bet everyone that the REAL facebook and Linkedin killer will be https://www.haltbox.com . My friend said they just launched in August, . One glance and you'll see what I'm talking about, clean, beautiful and with exceptional profile settings that guarantee privacy.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      FAIL

One glance and I see a couple of problems.

The news feed is full of stuff posted by complete strangers. NO THANK YOU!!!

When I try to edit my settings to hide my birthday I can't save it because "Profession" is a mandatory field. I DON'T WANT TO SHOW MY PROFESSION AND I DON'T WANT TO SHOW MY BIRTHDAY!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021